Spicing a lager post-ferment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cactusgarrett

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a batch two weeks into its lagering period, and i was hoping to get your opinions on how to spice it. I added what i was planning on being the full spice load at flameout, but when i tasted during racking to secondary for lagering, the flavor was too subtle for my liking. So, i was planning on adding another 50% of the original spice load, and as far as i can figure, my options are thus:

1) add an appropriate amount of spice "tea" to the secondary currently lagering (4 weeks left, per schedule).

2) add an appropriate amount of spice "tea" to the keg upon kegging after lagering.

Typically i add all non-dryhopping additions to the secondary vessels for a cleaner/clearer final product, but in this instance i'm concerned the remaining 4 weeks of lagering would have detrimental effects (ie. scrub the spices away, result in spices dropping out too soon, etc.).

Thoughts?

Back