What do you think of what I found on Craigslist

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I thought this might be a good step in the direction of all grain brewing. Could someone tell me how I would go about using a counterflow chiller in the keg, and could it chill 5 gallons, not 10? Or vice versa

Thanks for your help.

Looks like a deal to me. You probably need a pump to use the counterflow chiller, although I know some people on HBT are able to get by using just gravity.

To use the chiller you pump or gravity feed the wort through it while the tap water goes through it in the opposite direction.

The ad says he will sell the keg separatley so I think I may just buy that. I am not quite sure how I can gravity drain the wort through the chiller and get it back into the keg repeatedly without a pump. Am I missing something? Is the chiller just soaked in sanitizer before chilling?

The ad says he will sell the keg separately so I think I may just buy that. I am not quite sure how I can gravity drain the wort through the chiller and get it back into the keg repeatedly without a pump. Am I missing something? Is the chiller just soaked in sanitizer before chilling?

Looks like a good deal, the way it read to me is that you get both for $75. The keg alone is well worth that. Great find!

Cheers....:mug:

The ad says he will sell the keg separatley so I think I may just buy that. I am not quite sure how I can gravity drain the wort through the chiller and get it back into the keg repeatedly without a pump. Am I missing something? Is the chiller just soaked in sanitizer before chilling?

While I can't really make out how he has the chiller set up it does say counterflow chiller. If it is indeed a counterflow chiller you can use it. I have a counterflow that I made using Bobby_M's tutorial and I gravity drain out of my boil kettle through the chiller and into my primary. It doesn't go into the boil kettle like an immersion chiller, you just drain your wort through it when you're done with the boil. I get my wort down to about 80 in 15 min, but my tap is running about 75 right now. You'd have about 40 bucks into a 25 foot chiller with 3/8 od copper and the hose and fittings if you made it your self, add another 75ish or more to get the kettle made on your own unless you can do the welds your self. I'd say do some more searches on counterflow chillers if you're uncomfortable with it and decide from there, but it's a pretty good deal you're looking at there! I run tons of water through the copper part of the chiller when I'm done draining then a round of sanitizer. When you're ready to run your next batch just run another round of sanitizer through it. You just need to sanitize the inside of the coil the wort is running through, not the whole contraption.

cool

I never heard back from the guy I emailed about the keg and chiller. I hope he hasn't sold it!

Thanks for the help, now I really want the chiller.

There is brewing stuff on CL in Portland nearly daily. If he doesn't come through , just keep looking. I the past few weeks alone I picked up 2 10 gallon cornies and the elusive 7.75 pony keg.

Back