I'd like to make a wheat beer but...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TacoGuthrie

Reaction score
but I don't want the Banana taste in it.

I am planning to make a few lighter brews for the summer and would like to include a Wheat beer in there. I'm a little confused about the difference between German/Belgian/American wheat beers.

What is it that gives it a banana flavour? I'd like to know so I can avoid it.

Use an clean ale yeast or an american hefe yeast.

I make an oberon clone with the am hefe or s-05 that has no banana, bubble gum, or clove.

And its the yeast that gives the banana phenolic flavor. Just avoid a Bavarian or german wheat yeast.

great i've got some s-05 on order.

unfortunately in the same order ive got two wyeast 3068 that was an impulse buy that i just saw "German WHeat" and added two to the cart.

Maybe i'll try both? split batch perhaps...

great i've got some s-05 on order.

unfortunately in the same order ive got two wyeast 3068 that was an impulse buy that i just saw "German WHeat" and added two to the cart.

Maybe i'll try both? split batch perhaps...

Wyeast 3068 fermented at a cooler temp is not overly banana. Try a small batch with 3068, you may be pleasantly surprised.

i usually ferment at 58-62.

I dont know what 3068's range is but would that be on the cooler side?

well i''ll bet the temp in my brew room rises this summer, though not by much as it is pretty temperate round here. It should hit that low end and not go too much over.

thanks LL!

If you're familiar with Boulevard, there's a pretty darn good recipe in my drop down. "Litehaus Wheat".

Like was mentioned...a good wheat grist and an American Ale yeast will work just fine.

Back