Lilac Wine Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Winepig

Reaction score
The wife and I are pulling Lilac flowers getting ready to try our first batch of Lilac wine.

Do we have to be as fussy about keeping the green out as you do when cleaning dandelions for wine??

Right now, we are only keeping the petals, but it would be alot faster if we could leave some little stems.

Anybody made Lilac before that has an opinion??

Thanks,
Tim

The wife and I are pulling Lilac flowers getting ready to try our first batch of Lilac wine.

Do we have to be as fussy about keeping the green out as you do when cleaning dandelions for wine??

Right now, we are only keeping the petals, but it would be alot faster if we could leave some little stems.

Anybody made Lilac before that has an opinion??

Thanks,
Tim

When I did it, I only used the petals, just like for all flower wines. I've never done it with the green parts, so I don't know how different it would be.

Thanks for the quick reply!! We kept out the green, so it was a tedious job..... not as bad as dandelions, but pretty close.

I just hope it turns out after all the work.

Tim

Winepig, I will be making this soon as well. Keep us updated and I will do the same :)

Will do Atek. This batch is being requested by the Mrs. She's been pretty excited ever since she heard you could make wine out of Lilacs. If it doesn't turn out, she probabaly won't want to fool with it again.

I will post back as it progresses.

Tim

I just started a 5gallon batch on May 5.

I pulled the petals off of the green. Of course there was a small portion that made it it.

It was not as tedious as my dandelion attempt (now on hold for more dandelions).

One thing I noticed is that it started out smelling fabulous...it was a slow starting ferment...it went through a phase of smelling nasty, but now it's ok and fermenting steadily still.

OG was 1.114 and I used K1-V1116

A bit high, but it will water down a bit with racking/topping.

I strained the petals and added the rest of the ingredients last night. This stuff is really bubbling away today.

I can't say it smelled especially good, kind of like asparagus (I like asparagus, but I don't know if I want it in a wine). It's going to be interesting.... I can't wait to try it.

Tim

I strained the petals and added the rest of the ingredients last night. This stuff is really bubbling away today.

I can't say it smelled especially good, kind of like asparagus (I like asparagus, but I don't know if I want it in a wine). It's going to be interesting.... I can't wait to try it.

Tim

Good to know. I've got my flowers steaping now due to be racked off tonight and then start the fermentation. I froze my flowers after picking them as I didn't have time to start the batch right away. My flowers kind of turned pinkish brown and the batch smells more like asparagas than lilac. I'll go ahead and keep going with it but I'm not holding my breath. More often than not, if it smells bad before fermenting, its still gonna smell bad after fermenting... not sure though...

Ok, I went ahead and got it started. Though I'll be honest I'm not holding out a lot of hope for this one. It really smells green, there is a very faint smell of the flowers but the "green" smell is very overpowering. I really didn't even like the taste of the must. We'll see how it goes. I think I'll pick more flowers and make absolutely sure there is no green in em for another batch.

RECIPE:
Batch: 1gal
Yeast: CY17
1Gal Lilac Flowers
2 1/2 lb Sugar
Juice of 2 Lemons
1 isp Nutrient

5/16/11 Removed flowers from stems and placed in nylon sack. Boiled 1gal water and poured over flowers in primary. Let sit for48 hours.

5/18/11 Removed flowers from must and dissolved sugar and nutrient into must. Juiced 2 lemons and also added to the must. Aerated. OG. 1.111

Pitched Yeast.

I got some pictures but my laptop memory card reader is on the fritz....

More often than not, if it smells bad before fermenting, its still gonna smell bad after fermenting...

I was thinking the same thing, I've never had bad juice turn into good wine.

I can usually smell the wine from the venting airlock, but I used a new one on this jug and all I can smell is fresh rubber. I broke down when the wife got home from work and did what I never do..... I took the airlock off. This stuff smells pretty good now, I really can't wait to try it.

The Mrs is already talking about doing up a full 6 1/2 gallon batch next year.

I'll say one thing, I've never made anything this color before....

PA260004.jpg

Tim

Mine did not look like that at all.

It was more of purpleish brown. The lilacs were purple.

The must doesn't smell so bad now. We will see how it looks at the first racking.

If it doesn't work out...there will be plenty of vinegar.

Mine did not look like that at all.

It was more of purpleish brown. The lilacs were purple.

The must doesn't smell so bad now. We will see how it looks at the first racking.

If it doesn't work out...there will be plenty of vinegar.

*whew* The picture before your post had me worried... maybe it still should but mine was more of a brown as well. Like a tea...

Keep us updated and I will do the same :)

Wow!! What a difference a little time makes. We tasted the Lilac back in August and my wife suggested we throw it out, it was just awful. I decided to put it back and forget about it. I tasted it this morning and it's great!!

I just finished bottling it. Like usual, I wish I had made more than a gallon. This will be on the list again next year.

Tim

Winepig said:
Wow!! What a difference a little time makes. We tasted the Lilac back in August and my wife suggested we throw it out, it was just awful. I decided to put it back and forget about it. I tasted it this morning and it's great!!

I just finished bottling it. Like usual, I wish I had made more than a gallon. This will be on the list again next year.

Tim

Crap! I threw mine out cuz it tasted like green plant matter. At least it has that side of the tongue bitter taste.

Good to see some other people are getting some weird smells, I have poured boiling water over my lilacs and it smells a bit sulfurous, like eggs I'll persevere but I guess any flower that has been soaked in water for two days isn't going to smell as it did before it went in... all green stuff removed just petals aswell....

I just wanted to give back to the group a bit since I figured it was deserved and after a years worth and 7 or 8 batches of fruit wines completed I just had to try this flower wine since my driveway is lined with Lilac trees ;)

First off many thanks to all that share their experiences here - good and bad - as I have learned from you all.

I'll be pitching the yeast tonight but up to this point it's been the wildest ride I've ever had with any wine so far. Hopefully it may answer some questions others may have down the road.

I gathered a full bag (13 gallons) of blossom heads to basically sit down with and watch some serious TV with while the girl friend and I plucked the petals off. Trust me, that's A LOT of flowers to deal with. But it's much faster than dealing with Dandelions and you can actually leave a little green on the petals too here and there. I did without any issues in taste. I ended up with a 5 gallon aluminum pot (not my choice for pots either but it's all I have until that gets swapped for a better one) literally stuffed with flowers. I had to cram them in there. I did that because after a while I was getting worried I didn't have enough room for all the petals. It's a lesson I learned for Dandelions. You think you have a huge pile until the boiling water takes over and they whither down to almost no mass in the end. So now that I was okay with what I had - I ended up using a 5 gallon and another 3 gallon pot - I began boiling a total of 5 gallons of water split somewhat between the pots. The flowers waited in bowls nearby... I have only two pictures at the moment but it's better than nothing.

edited to make these pics a bit smaller

20170512_220837r.jpg

20170512_222527r.jpg

So continuing my last post - I can't figure out how to add text after an image for just one long post so I'm doing it this way...

Once the water was boiling I let it go for a few minutes to kill anything I could in there. I used my well water for this and it does have an iron eating bacteria in there which is impossible to remove even with bleach shocking the well 6 times. But that's another story.

I tossed the flowers into the water instead of running the water over the flowers. Not sure if this will make a difference but dealing with oils from flowers can be tricky when it comes to heat. So I was worried a bit. After forcing the flowers under the water with a big spoon I let them sit for 48 hours. This I believe is very important. The "tea" takes time to come together and rushing this is a means for failure. So take your time!

The tea ended up looking like a translucent purple/gray liquid. After 48 hrs I strained the entire batch into a large nylon mesh bag hanging inside a 7 gallon bucket with spigot. I squeezed out the bag and ended up with a tight ball about 6" in size. Talk about shrinkage! I tasted the liquid and to my surprise it tasted very decent and was aromatic too. But here's the thing... When I started this, the boiling aroma of lilacs was just horrible. I mean seriously not right to the nose. I did everything to hold myself back from tossing this disaster right out the door. It was the girlfriend who convinced me to push through it. I was not happy over loosing a possible 10 pounds of sugar again. Oh well I figured and I just let nature take its course. Glad I did !!!! Well so far anyways ;)

The must went into a 7 gallon conical tank. I started off with 5 gallons of tea. I made a syrup with 10 pounds of sugar which brought the total to 6 gallons of must. I did a specific gravity reading and was at 1.082. I left it alone there figuring I was going to add a box of golden raisins for the ferment later and I believe it adds a little sugar. I've been a bit of a stickler about not trying to go over that magical 1.090 mark since making a batch of Strawberry Rocket fuel by mistake. Again another story...

I titrated for acidity and with any flower wine they don't add anything much beyond flavor so you'll need to adjust that. After getting a .45 reading on a 10ml sample, I needed around 120 grams of acid blend to get this to 5.75. I was short 30 grams of acid blend so I substituted citric acid there. And here's the magic part for me - remember that gray/purple liquid tea I had? It changed color to a nice pink!! I kid you not. This looked exactly like pink grapefruit juice here. Wish I took a picture but I didn't think I'd be posting here and I was into working on the wine and Pink Floyd was playing on the sound system. I was in the zone I guess... I tasted this "mess" before I called it a day and was totally taken back by the flavor. I should also mention I added 1 1/2 teaspoons of tannin. I've never tasted anything like this and although I'm not a wine connoisseur at all, the flavor just screams lilac.

My biggest concern now is keeping the flavor from being ruined. I say that because I made a big batch of Dandelion wine two weeks ago using the same setup and methods I just described. Picture follows below. It tasted like a very strong honey and it was simply out of this world to me at least. Well that's before fermenting and using golden raisins for body in the wine. It lost or changed flavor after adding a box of raisins and fermentation. Maybe that's normal but it would be a shame to loose so much Lilac flavor.

I'll come back to add to this post when I have more to share ;)

edited to make these pics smaller..

20170429_215121r.jpg

Dose anyone have any updates on their lilac wines?

The Mrs. and I brewed one up in May after we learned the house we bought had a huge lilac tree in the back. Followed the same procedures here. Racked again last night and while the flavor has improved in terms of the wine being much less harsh, I didn't taste much lilac flavor at all. Is that normal for 3 months post "brewing?"

I imagine the next racking will be into bottles, so any response on this would be great!

Cheers!

Well after all that effort I have to say I'm not sure I'll be doing that again. It lost practically all it's flavor during the ferment. It sure did taste intense before I pitched the yeast though. I bottled it all but I'm not sure how to use it. I was thinking on it yesterday - about doing a reverse possibly the next time. Make a grape wine or some other wine and back sweeten and back flavor with lilac tea - essentially you don't ferment the lilac. It would work somewhat but I don't know if it would last in the bottle once it's bottled. Flowers are all about essential oils - there's no sugar to work with and the oils can easily be ruined or simply lost. But I think I may try it. I'd have to make a wine stock ahead of time and a concentrated lilac tea to prevent watering down the base wine. Those trees took a bit of a beating. I did take a lot of flowers ;)

Dandelion wine did the same thing to me but not as bad. The tea was an intense honey taste but the taste disappeared somewhat during ferment. I back sweetened with Agave sugar which made for an interesting combo. But if had dandelion tea to add as well I would have more of that amazing honey taste in there. Let me know what you do as I can always use some fresh perspective on these wines ;)

Hi
its about 2 years since I brewed my lilac wine, its not bad but I would say an acquired taste. It has strong flavour and it is very 'perfumy alcohol' as you'd expect from flowers, if you keep in mind the smell of lilac as you drink it you can really tell where it's come from. But I'd say this wine is not delicate or subtle. My alcohol content was high combined with a 'very spirity perfume' it really 'cleared your pipes' after swallowing. I also made a batch of back-sweetened but I haven't tried that yet, hopefully a bit easier to palette.
I can drink it but if I served it up at a dinner table for guests there would be a few 'wtf is this' going round.

Back