Dry hopping in the bottle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Octavius

Reaction score
Hi folks,
Anyone tried it?
Say, a hop pellet (or whole flower) in each bottle.
Cheers!

I just listened to the Basic Brewing Radio where someone wrote in and said they tried it and it was horrible; a ton of sediment and they said it foamed like crazy too.

I've done it with a couple of cones of fuggle (into an english IPA) per bottle. It's not great. I tasted it after 2 weeks and it was really vegetably. By 6 weeks it was just so wrong it was ridiculous. It gushes like you would not believe. After mine gushed for about 1 min. there was only 1/2 the bottle left.

Don't do it, but if you do only do a couple of bottles and pour through some kind of strainer.

Wow.
Thanks for putting me right.
Cheers!

Do you have any hops pellets, extra, just laying around? To see what we're saying, go eat one.

Um, yeah, I did that. It smelled so good I thought it would taste really good. Kinda like vanilla extract smells so good I thought I should taste it (but I was about 5 years old in the vanilla extract incident). The hop pellet made me unable to taste a thing for about 2 days. That is NOT something you want to experience in a 12 ounce bottle of beer, plus it'll break up into sludge in the bottle.

Wasn't there a thread where someone put a hop cone in the glass and then poured the beer over it and said it was delicious? You could do this.

My thought has always been to serve with a hop cone, like a garnish. Much fresher without the gunk in a bottle. I can see how it might get a little grassy in the glass, but I guess thats the point if using this method.

Hop cones tend to turn into wads of slime after a while. Just top a pint with a couple cones.

I recently dry hopped an IIPA that was a bit too full in the carboy and it started making it's way up the airlock as the hops expanded, so I sucked about a half a pint out into a glass with a turkey baster to make room and figured I'd just drink it. I really wish I hadn't tasted it (it had quite a few hops in my "sample"). Kinda like Yooper said, it made any beer I drank that night taste bad.

Hmm, OK back to the drawing board.

I like the idea of a hop cone in a glass though.

Thanks and cheers!

I'm resurrecting this thread because last night I bought a 4 pack of Lupulin Maximus from O'So brewing (tiny little brewery) in Wisconsin. I was suprised to find that each one was bottled with a hops cone.

I can't say what it did to the aroma since I don't have any non bottle hopped controls but the cone was still intact, it didn't gush, and didn't notice any vegetally flavors. I'm not sure of the release date so I contacted the company to find this out. I suspect though that these were bottled 6 months ago.

Maybe I'll try this in a few bottles of my next IPA.

I could see doing a hop cone IF, and a strong IF you plan on drinking within a week. Any longer Im sure will make it taste like grass. and BITTER, whew!

Could it be possible they used a hop cone that was previously used and redried for bottling purposes? I know there are cigar companies that take "waste" tobacco and pack it around cigars in boxes (which is UBER annoying). OR maybe they used the ones from the dry hop and reused the same cones one at a time in the bottles?

I inadvertently did this with hop pellets (last bottle in a batch) and would not recommend it. You will end up with a mess in a glass when you pour. Yeast tends to stay on the bottom of the bottle while pouring but not hop pellets/particles. Taste was not bad though so there might be some merit in trying this with whole hops.

Here is an idea, lets say you take your priming sugar and lightly boil it to sanitize and dissolve the sugar. After you shut the stove off, put an ounce of hop pellets in a muslin bag and place this in the simple syrup to steep. Then use this awesome, hoppy sugar to prime your beers. So long as you don't boil the hops, you should get some nice aroma kicked in, with no added bitterness.

I can't beleive I didn't think of this earlier. I am doing this with my next IPA>

Used to be a beer with a cone in teh bottle.

Didn't do well.

Have to be really careful with extended DH'ing of some hops as they go grassy with prolonged contact. It's to do with the chloropyll leaching out, that is whats left after drying the cones.

Above post sounds like a good experiment, I was thinking boil water, steep hops (time to be determined) pull out hops, add sugar. Not sure if the hops would suck up a significant amount of sugar but this sounds like an experiment for my next hoppy brew. Two posts up, Gila beat me to it.:drunk:

The premise of a Randall is that you run beer through fresh hop leaf to add a burst of hop aroma and flavor. I have also dropped fresh hop leaf in a glass of beer to hop burst it. It works if you give it time to work.

The premise of dry hopping to draw the aroma and flavor of hops into a beer. If you dry hop a bottle, you will extract the aroma and flavor, but unlike dry hopping in a 2ndary, once you've extracted all the aroma and flavor, you still have this hop floating in a bottle of beer. The beer keeps extracting. That's where the vegetal flavor comes from.

If you do pellets you have vegetal flavor plus a ton of floaty sediment. Sediment that wraps around your carbontion when you pop your bottle open and fly everywhere, redefining hop burst.

I think your best bet is to:

A)Dry hop your 2ndary.

B)Dry hop gyle and carbonate your beer with gyle (this is what I prefer to do).

C)Build a Randall.

D)All of the above. That would be one crazy beer.

At The Flipside bar in Pocatello, we brought down some nice freshly dried cones of cascade. Muddled them in a pint glass with just a pinch of pale ale, then filled it up. It had hop chunks floating around, but it was delicious.

You can use a french press as a homemade hop infuser. I read about a bar that lets you order a beer, pick out a hop and they put whole leaf hops in a french press, fill it with beer, and then let it sit for a few minutes. Then you press the hop cones down with the french press and pour off into a glass. I have been meaning to try it now that I have a french press dedicated to my brewing supplies.

You can use a french press as a homemade hop infuser. I read about a bar that lets you order a beer, pick out a hop and they put whole leaf hops in a french press, fill it with beer, and then let it sit for a few minutes. Then you press the hop cones down with the french press and pour off into a glass. I have been meaning to try it now that I have a french press dedicated to my brewing supplies.

Brilliant!!!!

forstmeister said:

Cold pressed, I assume?

Ressurecting this thread
Then use this awesome, hoppy sugar to prime your beers. So long as you don't boil the hops, you should get some nice aroma kicked in, with no added bitterness.
Did you or anyone do it? How was it?
I mean it sounds like having fresh "flameout/ whirpool" hops right before bottling. Wich could lead to better aroma and/or overcarbonation from hop creep?
I was thinking boil water, steep hops (time to be determined) pull out hops, add sugar. Not sure if the hops would suck up a significant amount of sugar
Or just use seperate pots. One for priming solution and other one for hop steeping. Mix them after they are finished.
This way you wont lose priming sugar into the hops. And you dont have to boil the hop water.

Latest posts

Back