What do you cap a champagne bottle with?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BonzoAPD

Reaction score
What do you cap a champagne bottle with? I have some Martini and Rossi Bottles that I think would make good brew bottles but do not know how to cap them.

Usually a cork and a cage. Unless they have a rim for a cap. If you're going to cork you need a floor/bench corker and maybe larger corks.

Most champagne bottles I've seen have a rim and are capable. However they usually require larger 29mm caps, and a larger capping bell of course. I have a Super Colona (sp?) capper/corker and it came iwth a standard 26mm bell, 29mm bell, and corking attachment.

I've used the caps on champagne bottles and they hold carbonation fine. Reuse those big bottles :mug:

I use these little guys ...you can get them at bed bath and beyond

image-2587367270.jpg

+1 to the larger bell. I shredded the neck off of one a few weeks ago trying to use my standard red wing capper. Ordered the larger bell but haven't tried it yet.

I have some champagne bottles that take 26mm caps so I use caps on those. For the larger-mouthed bottles I use plastic champagne corks and wire cages. I drive them in by hand. Most of the champagne bottles that originally housed beer are easy to get corked but actual champagne bottles often have smaller opening and it takes some serious pressure to get the cork in.

Back