IPA w/Galena and Chinook....whats gonna happen?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

McMalty

Reaction score
k, so i designed my recipe to specifically use Simcoe, Citra, and Cascade. Turns out, there is a shortage of both simcoe and citra at my LHBS, so i had to substitute and i picked chinook and galena. but originally i wanted simcoe and citra b/c of their very specific taste and citrus qualities which can't really be duplicated. so, does anyone have any idea how it's gonna taste with 90 and 30 minute chinook additions, 60 and 15 min Galena additions, and a 5 min cascade addition. beersmith estimates the IBUs at 67, but i'm more interested in the taste. i don't want it to be completely bitter, i want a well balanced citrus. 90 min boil. 12.5 lbs u.s. 2 row, 1 lb of crystal 60.

Just kidding. It will be bitter though.

Most of the flavor is from the 15 minute addition.

Really? 67 IBUs is going to be too bitter? It's an IPA, that's pretty standard for good IPAs. So are you saying there is something about these particular hops that is going to make it extra bitter. And when i say "bitter", i don't mean normal IPA bitter, but extra bitter that detracts from the flavor profile..

It won't be too bitter, but it will be bitter. IPAs are bitter. Are you bitter? Would it be better if it were bitter? Be right back, I need to go to the ****ter.

I would have done the bittering with Galena and the flavor/aroma with Chinook.

For reference, Arrogant Bastard is a single hop Chinook beer (+ lots of Special B).

I would have done the bittering with Galena and the flavor/aroma with Chinook.

For reference, Arrogant Bastard is a single hop Chinook beer (+ lots of Special B).

well i haven't brewed it yet, so should i really switch them up? what is Galena good for? i've never seen anyone actually use it.

Galena (US) 10-14% Primarily used for strong, clean, balanced bittering. Fruity, slightly citrusy and spicy.

Chinook (US) 11-13% Spicy, piney, grapefruity. Lingering slightly rough resiny bitterness

The hops are substitutes for each other.

I agree w/ Calder: Galena as bittering, for sure. You could either flavor w the Chinook, or flip that w the Cascades, IMHO either schedule would work. FWIW, I use Galena a lot, it's fallen out of favor a bit, but I find it to be an excellent bittering hop that has a slightly mysterious undertone to it.

I agree w/ Calder: Galena as bittering, for sure. You could either flavor w the Chinook, or flip that w the Cascades, IMHO either schedule would work. FWIW, I use Galena a lot, it's fallen out of favor a bit, but I find it to be an excellent bittering hop that has a slightly mysterious undertone to it.

"slightly mysterious" seems pretty good in a largely familiar class of IPAs

I bitter with it a lot. It has a minty note but is otherwise pretty neutral and gets the job done. But I am also curious about the flavor although I've read it is underwhelming.
I have a columbus/amarillo IPA that I had an extra gallon from the boil. So the 5 gallons got the columbus/amarillo/centennial dry hop and the 1 gallon got Galena and Willamette. I hope it will be an nice earthy spicy change up.

Time will tell, it's going to bottles today.

I bitter with it a lot. It has a minty note but is otherwise pretty neutral and gets the job done. But I am also curious about the flavor although I've read it is underwhelming.
I have a columbus/amarillo IPA that I had an extra gallon from the boil. So the 5 gallons got the columbus/amarillo/centennial dry hop and the 1 gallon got Galena and Willamette. I hope it will be an nice earthy spicy change up.

Time will tell, it's going to bottles today.

yeah, reading ur post, i think i've convinced myself to bitter and aroma w/the chinook, and aroma and flavor with amarillo in place of galena. I'll save the galena for some later bittering

So just to follow up because I hate how 80% of the threads that interest me end with NO Conclusion. Punks!

The Gallon I dry hopped with Galena/Willamette has bottle conditioned about a month. It tastes about how I expected. Nice earthy, spice, a little fruit but not blowing the doors off. Maybe a little rough around the edges from the Galena. I definitely like Willamette as a dry hop. There is something about sticking my nose in the empty glass with all that malty hoppy surface area. It reminds me a little bit of spending time with the lady. Mmmm. Has anyone made that association? I can't be the first...

Galena is making it a little rough but I've noticed it mellows with time so I will keep tasting it over time. I have 9 or so left. Drinkable and different for a good change up but not something I would keep around on purpose.

My other 5 gallons is awesome, I might back off a touch with the Columbus next time because it is being a little bit of a 'loud talker' but the amarillo and centennial are juicy good.

So just to follow up because I hate how 80% of the threads that interest me end with NO Conclusion. Punks!

The Gallon I dry hopped with Galena/Willamette has bottle conditioned about a month. It tastes about how I expected. Nice earthy, spice, a little fruit but not blowing the doors off. Maybe a little rough around the edges from the Galena. I definitely like Willamette as a dry hop. There is something about sticking my nose in the empty glass with all that malty hoppy surface area. It reminds me a little bit of spending time with the lady. Mmmm. Has anyone made that association? I can't be the first...

Galena is making it a little rough but I've noticed it mellows with time so I will keep tasting it over time. I have 9 or so left. Drinkable and different for a good change up but not something I would keep around on purpose.

My other 5 gallons is awesome, I might back off a touch with the Columbus next time because it is being a little bit of a 'loud talker' but the amarillo and centennial are juicy good.

sorry that i'm just now following up.........Conclusion: it was too bitter :cross: , it's ok tho, it's still drinkable, just not what i was going for. Also i used 1 oz of peak smoked malt which i think was probably too much. oh well, lesson learned. Now I'm gonna go the opposite direction and try a ton of late addition hops instead.

Back