Is Guinness the most overrated beer...ever?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straight6TT

Reaction score
Well....is it?

I had this question come to me from a friend of mine...while drinking a chocolate porter of my own and I really believe there is some validity to the statement. What do you think?

I think Guinness is to beer what Bose is to audio. My dad, I will bring him over different stouts from time to time, Mephisopheles, Bourbon County, Boulevard's dark truth, Young's double chocolate, etc... but he will still treat himself to a Guinness draught. So to him, it's not overrated.

Now, about your screen name, 2JZ or RB26?

I mean dont get me wrong I still like guinness but it is literally on draft in every single bar in america.

and...2jz (97 Supra)

For me it brings back fond memories of some of my first beer drinking moments. I remember moving to New Orleans after college and having one at an Irish pub in the French quarter. I also remember drinking Guinness at the top of the Marriott tower in Nagoya Japan when I felt like a beer with a little more to it then other Japanese beers and enjoying the view of the city. For me, the memories associated with it make it a great beer.

I had one fresh at the "East of England" show in 1976 that I still dream about. There was a stand from the brewery and they were giving away pints. It must have been at the correct peak and temperature as I have never had another that was close to the "cream." Not that I haven't been trying by getting it on draft when I can. I even like it in the "widget" cans. I like it in a "Black and Tan" and when I am in a pub, that is my choice. Millions cannot be wrong (except for Bud Lite).

I mean dont get me wrong I still like guinness but it is literally on draft in every single bar in america.

and...2jz (97 Supra)

Not in Texas.

I still enjoy a pint of Guinness, an Irish Car Bomb, or a Black & Tan from time to time. It's good. It's unique. Overrated? Not in my book.

Like I have said I like guinness but to have the popularity that it has with soooo many great stout choices, I feel guinness could be the product of GREAT marketing. Like someone else said if millions cant be wrong than bud light, miller light coors, whatever...would be considered a good beer and we all know they are not.

If guinness were launched today with all of the competition it has would it be even a tenth of what it became?

Not in Texas.

I still enjoy a pint of Guinness, an Irish Car Bomb, or a Black & Tan from time to time. It's good. It's unique. Overrated? Not in my book.

Very surprising to me, everywhere in NC that i have been has it on tap.

The reason I would not call bud light or coors overrated is does anyone really consider them "good". I think most people that drink just think of it as "beer" and dont care what it tastes like as long as its subtle easy to drink ice cold, and on special that night.

I will agree that guniness is a little over rated to me only because a lot of times when I bring up craft beer guniness is always the beer that comes up and I'm always told its so heavy which I don't understand

Guiness helped me transition to craft beer. I still enjoy it on tap; however, I dont think it taste like much anymore.

Here is what you have to consider, Guinness is an Irish Dry Stout not a chocolate porter. They are different beers. Personally I like Beamish better, or a mackeson sweet stout, sammy smith oatmeal stout. But guinness is good and I know I can find it anywhere. It is one of the most recognizable beers around. Who dosent think st patties day and guinness, or see the toucan on the pint glass. You would find people on here who hate BMC, but they are good examples of that beer. You can't compare them to other styles though.

Guinness has really transcended the beer market. It's beyond what most beers are, it has become a household name and has practically become what kleenex is to tissue paper or what
Dixie cups are to styrofoam cups.

When you say the word "stout" to 99.9% of beer drinkers they think Guinness. Sure there are tastier brews but it is so old, popular and well known that it will forever hold the #1 spot. Is it overrated?... In what sense? Popularity?... No. Sales?... No. Taste?... Not to most people.

Well....is it?

I had this question come to me from a friend of mine...while drinking a chocolate porter of my own and I really believe there is some validity to the statement. What do you think?

Over-rated in what way and what does a homebrewed chocolate porter have to do with a dry Irish stout? It does seem lately that widely distributed brews made by a large concern are worthy only of disdain by the modern craft beer drinker. I don't think Guinness pretends to be anything it isn't and what it is is done very well. Realistically, Guinness is a world-class beer in that it defines a style. That it's not in double digit ABV percentage, triple digit IBUs, doesn't have any nuts, berries, orange peel, Scotch bonnet chilies, star anise, landfill fire smoked malt, or isn't aged with dry cured bacon does not mean it isn't a good beer. What you prefer to drink can be chosen subjectively but as a knowledgeable beer drinker and brewer I think it's best to look at the world of beer as objectively as possible. :mug:

Here is what you have to consider, Guinness is an Irish Dry Stout not a chocolate porter. They are different beers. Personally I like Beamish better, or a mackeson sweet stout, sammy smith oatmeal stout. But guinness is good and I know I can find it anywhere. It is one of the most recognizable beers around. Who dosent think st patties day and guinness, or see the toucan on the pint glass. You would find people on here who hate BMC, but they are good examples of that beer. You can't compare them to other styles though.

For the record I wasnt saying that my chocolate porter was even in the same league as guiness, it was my second brewed beer ever and its marginally better than my first beer that can only be classified as drinkable lol...

Also i have never had guinness in ireland which I hear is amazing.

over-rated in what way and what does a homebrewed chocolate porter have to do with a dry irish stout? It does seem lately that widely distributed brews made by a large concern are worthy only of disdain by the modern craft beer drinker. I don't think guinness pretends to be anything it isn't and what it is is done very well. Realistically, guinness is a world-class beer in that it defines a style. That it's not in double digit abv percentage, triple digit ibus, doesn't have any nuts, berries, orange peel, scotch bonnet chilies, star anise, landfill fire smoked malt, or isn't aged with dry cured bacon does not mean it isn't a good beer. What you prefer to drink can be chosen subjectively but as a knowledgeable beer drinker and brewer i think it's best to look at the world of beer as objectively as possible. :mug:

+1

Not over-rated. It's a fine dry stout. This might not be your favorite type of stout.

I've had Guinness in Ireland and it was better here, when I got back. I drank plenty of it over there because Ireland doesn't have a lot of choices (where I was at, anyway).

I have a clone on tap that isn't all that good due to a brett infection. Actually, I think the infection has made it a bit more like the Guinness I had in County Longford. I meant to dump these two kegs, but the more I drink it the more I like it. What it is that beer can't do?

Nope. It's like a glass of milk. There might be more exciting drinks but it's good anytime. It's a staple beer.

If you think Guinness is overrated because it lacks flavor try some milds. Not all beers have to have big flavor to be a good beer.

Is it perhaps over marketed? Maybe...but I don't think of its advertising as the same paltry nonsense as BMC.

If guinness were launched today with all of the competition it has would it be even a tenth of what it became?

I just want to let everyone know that Im not trying to pick a fight or be a troll. I love beer and believe that every single one has a time and purpose and just thought this was a good discussion to have. Having said all that what say you about this quote?

Ok, I don't think it's over rated. It's a decent beer, I don't think anyone is trying to say it's the best around. But even so I absolutely HATE guinness for one reason only, the thousands of times I've handed someone a truly good beer that is even a shade darker than yellow piss and they say " hey, that's dark. Is that like Guinness?"

Sent from my iPad using HB Talk

I think Bud Light is the most overrated beer ever, for sure.

I agree with this.

Also, I went to an Irish pub in Ventura a few months ago and just had to order a Guiness. In that setting it was perfect. I don't generally buy it for home though.

Personally, I love how easy it is to find cheap nitro guinness cans (especially at costco).

However, I somewhat agree that Guinness suffers from the same "Irishness" that afflicts Notre Dame football.

People who never went to college, whose family never went to college, and who are not even practicing Catholics will describe themselves as "die hard" ND Football fans because they are 1/32 "Irish."

Same seems to go with Guinness. Maybe I am suffering from that same affliction. But when I drink a pint of Guinness, it hits me.

Now, when I have a stronger, fresher, bolder stout on nitro (Deschutes Obsidian, North Coast Rasputin, etc), I enjoy it more.

And, don't forget, there's more than one bottle, can, or pint of Guinness. There's a big difference between a pint at St. James Gate, a can on nitro in the US, a keg in the US, a bottle of Foreign Extra Stout, or a pint in Africa (Nigerians drink more Guinness than the Irish).

Guinness in a can or bottle is pretty bad.

Guinness on tap in the US is decent.

Guinness in Ireland is lovely.

I know it's cliche, but after a trip to Ireland, that was my experience; it could be somewhat psychological, I admit. It's still certainly not a complex beer, but I would say it's my among my favorite mass produced beers.

alexdagrate said:
And, don't forget, there's more than one bottle, can, or pint of Guinness. There's a big difference between a pint at St. James Gate, a can on nitro in the US, a keg in the US, a bottle of Foreign Extra Stout, or a pint in Africa (Nigerians drink more Guinness than the Irish).

Don't forget temp. & how it is poured, too cold and it's just a cold beer, too warm and it's rancid. Dont dare serve a pint straight up no settling, an offence punishable by a mass walkout :). Over here we'd send back a pint if it is not the right temp. or let settle properly. Old skool drinkers are a fussy bunch. In most pubs there are two types of Guinness, Guinness & guineas extra cold for the lager boys. Guinness brewed outside of ireland will always taste slightly wrong (think water profile) due to the water source. As. For Nigerians drinking more then the Irish that is just down to population? Check the stats for pints per capita. :)

I think Guinness is largely overrated in terms of being "heavy". Sure, a lot of craft beer "connoisseurs" will complain that there's not much going on with it, but I do believe that's part of the thinking behind the beer. Dublin has horribly hard water, so they really couldn't successfully brew pilsners or pale ales with their water chemistry. So what would they make if they just want to grab a pint down at the pub after work? An easy drinking stout is the first thing that would come to my mind. Believe it or not, sometimes a 12% abv bottle of roasted-toffee-plum-bourbon overload that pours like used motor oil doesn't hit the spot after working all day.

IMO, it's not worth the usual $10 a 6 pack that I usually see it at in the store, but I don't think I'd ever turn down a cheap pint.

I like Guinness but I think its a little over-rated. Anyway I will defend it to death when everyone was brewing watery yellow fizzy pils Irish were brewing/drinking pretty good stouts. Cheers to diversity in brewing and in every other aspect of life

....but it is literally on draft in every single bar in america.

And this is a problem for you? To ME this means I can go to any bar, including a non beer centric bar like I would normally go to, (Like a place with a beer list longer than the wine one, or a brewpub) and KNOW that there's at least going to be 1 beer amongst the bud, bud light, coors, that I might actually ENJOY drinking....

I'm happy nowadays that even in the most divy shot and shell bar, I might find Guinness or at least killians on tap these days. Beats ordering a water.

I love the newly converted and how snobby they can be....:rolleyes: Bitching that Guinness is always on tap these days. Sheesh. Try going back to the 80's when the idea of something OTHER than BMC in a bar was an impossibility....

Back