Has anyone used raspberry puree?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GRHunter

Reaction score
I racked my wheat beer and some raspberry puree into my secondary today. After I racked my beer into the puree I was throwing away the puree can when I noticed a weird smell. It wasn't a totally bad smell, but it certainly wasn't the fruity fresh raspberry smell I would have expected. I tasted a little bit of it and it did taste like raspberries, but nothing at all like fresh raspberries. So is normal due to the pasteurizing and canning? Or is there a good chance I just racked a perfectly good beer onto some spoiled raspberries? Also, there wasn't an expiration date on the can. There's nothing I can do about it now except wait to see what happens. I guess the lesson learned here is to sniff things BEFORE I dump then in with my beer. :(

I could be wrong but if it is the stuff you make pies out of, the stuff my mom always used was unsweetened (out of the can). More then once i tried to steal a finger full of raspberry delishesnes only to be thrown back by the taste. Kind of like bakers chocolate. Its not the chocolate you would be used to but gives you the end result of chocolate flavoring.

I'm thinking its fine, besides if it was too sweet i would think it would make your beer too sweet?

Just my thoughts but im still learning the ropes.

Back