RIMS advice- to fuse or not to fuse?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kcinpdx

Reaction score
I have nearly all the parts together to complete my RIMS build this weekend. Sawdustguy's Dummies thread has been instrumental in the design and will be nearly identical to thatAuber PID, 20A relay, 1500W element etc. Because I have an interest in not electrocuting myself nor an interest in frying new components, I am considering adding fuses. Here are my questions:
1. Is this necessary ?
2. My current thinking is 25A fuse for the SSR, 2A for the pump and .25A for the PID
3. Any "special" tricks or things I ned to be aware of when adding fuses to a line?

Thanks

a fuse won't save you from electricution...the body only draws milliamps before you die. You need a GFCI for that. If everything is on a properly sized breaker the system would be protected from shorts and overloads, however if you want to add fusing, try this:

2A slow blow fuse for the pump (so it won't open when the motor starts)
.25 fast acting fuse on the PID (or whatever the required current rating is...check that)
Nothing needed on the SSR...the breaker will take care of that.

Back