Too early for secondary?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MidRex

Reaction score
This is my second brew, but it is the first one that I used a secondary. There was alot of activity in the first 3 days, but it totally stopped. There was
absolutley no activity in my airlock, so I transferred everything to my secondary. Was it too early to do this? My reading was about 6 off. I'm betting that I should have left it in the primary for longer. Tell me that I didn't screw up this brew.

MidRex said:
This is my second brew, but it is the first one that I used a secondary. There was alot of activity in the first 3 days, but it totally stopped. There was
absolutley no activity in my airlock, so I transferred everything to my secondary. Was it too early to do this? My reading was about 6 off. I'm betting that I should have left it in the primary for longer. Tell me that I didn't screw up this brew.

You didn't screw up this brew. You probably should have left it in the primary longer, but no harm done. I would recommend leaving it in the secondary, however, for 2 weeks plus the 4 days you missed out on in primary.;)

Just remember, you won't really save any time by moving to secondary early; the beer still needs time to condition. You don't have to worry about being on the yeast cake for at least a month (some would say longer).

OG reading was 1.050 and before I racked it was 1.020. The recipe said that the min should have been 1.014. It was a BB kit Weizenbier kit. Will this be made up in the secondary? I will def let it sit there for a least 2wks now though. How do I take a reading from the carboy instead of the bucket? Should i use a wine theif?

MidRex said:
OG reading was 1.050 and before I racked it was 1.020. The recipe said that the min should have been 1.014. It was a BB kit Weizenbier kit. Will this be made up in the secondary? I will def let it sit there for a least 2wks now though. How do I take a reading from the carboy instead of the bucket? Should i use a wine theif?

Leave it for the two weeks. I wouldn't even bother taking another reading until then. Use your wine thief to at that time. If it's at or below 1.014, it should be completely done. You can take readings over two or three days if you want. If there is no change, it's finished.:mug:

Back