barley or hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

papabeach1

Reaction score
I know it sound stupid, or idiot, but help me please,

I drank lot beers from hops, but something in my mind sayin barley also?

can i brew straight with no barley? or have to be seprated? please explain

clear what different hops and barley? or is barley a leaves of hop? correct me wrong please im bow down to all brew lords, call me stupid all you can, I ask for help please im more than happy to help with others too and will keep the grow journals, just need to know basics first..https://cdn.homebrewtalk.com/images/smilies/buck.gif

Beer is normally made from malted barley with hops added for bitternes.

The Barley is grown and then after it is harvested it is dampened and warmed to convert it to malted barley.

Warm water is then added and the liquid drawn off.
Hops are added.

Yeast is then added to make the beer.

so barley is a leaves of hops? or barley is a different plant? and blend with hops? I need that to be cleared thanks..

If you read the online book in the first response you got, you'd have your answer. Orfy also explained it well. Even googling the words hops and barley would answer your question.

You really need to read How to Brew and understand the basics before you even think about brewing.

Barley and hops are 2 very different plants.

In a very "general" way, barley is very close to wheat.

Hops are a vine, somewhat.

yeah do some more research guy... that question can be answered by reading the most basic of homebrewing information. wikipedia i'm pretty sure has a basic homebrewing article that explains the gist of everything...but definitely read a book (like How to Brew, as mentioned and provided, or "The Complete Joy of Homebrewing" by Charles Papazian) and use google mayne....

It took all my restraint to say nothing... but seriously!

I know it says "Beginners Beer Brewing Forum" but jeebus....

This is weird and way different than just brewing questions. It's like asking is there a difference between an apple and an ear of corn. ???????

this is such a beautiful melange of ESL, weed consumption and complete, newborn ignorance.

i think we should make it the mission of this forum to turn this poor soul into a master homebrewer.

Wow. Just...wow.
Wow, I have never seen Evan! so mellow, he must of had a great weekend.
Barley/malted barley is a cereal crop like wheat. It is the primary source in beer that is malted (explained briefly above), then mashed to convert starches to sugars, sparged (rinsed) to draw out the sugar and that creates wort.
A new brewer will most likely use DME/LME dry/liquid malt extract which has already done the above steps for you.
Then you boil that to get a hot break and add hops at different stages. Hops are a natural preservative and also provide bitterness to counter the sweetness in beer, and also adds flavour and aroma. (Who could ask for anything more).
There are a number of FAQ's, the book mentioned above is a must read, and GOOGLE and wikipedia is your friend also.
Best of luck.

How am I to be getting alcohol to put into my own beer? Please help I am new to all. Is this come from hops as well?

Alcohols is from bottles marked "Vodka" You puts your vodkas in the beere and malt the hops with the barley. Barley and hops is not related, they are find in the zoo.

This is gonna be my new hobby!! :D

How am I to be getting alcohol to put into my own beer? Please help I am new to all. Is this come from hops as well?
The first time my father in law tried my homebrew it was an Amarillo Pale Ale and after a couple pints he asked how much alcohol was in it. I told him it was about 5.5%. He said "Well this is really good, what kind of alcohol did you use in it?"

Hope this will clear some stuff up since it seems like you haven't read howtobrew.com yet...

Barley:
6704-P1010017.JPG

From wikipedia:
Barley (Hordeum vulgare) is an annual cereal grain, which serves as a major animal feed crop, with smaller amounts used for malting and in health food. It is a member of the grass family Poaceae. In 2005, barley ranked fourth in quantity produced and in area of cultivation of cereal crops in the world
Barley is specially processed for brewing. It is malted and kilned to provide specific flavors. Hence names like pale, chocolate, black etc.

To make beer, you take crushed barley (and sometimes other grains) and mix it with hot water. This is called a MASH.
IMG_0096.jpg

A lot of us do our mash in a cooler to keep the temperature constant.

The mash serves to break down starches in the malted barley to fermentable sugars.

When the mash is complete, you have to rinse the sugars from the grains. This is called SPARGING.
batch_sparge_blonde_ale.jpg

The sugary water collected here is called WORT.

Next, you have to boil the wort.
IMG_0110.jpg

The boil accomplishes several tasks:
sanitizing
ADDING HOPS

Yes, we finally get to your illustrious hops!!! I will quickly divert at this point.

Hops:
Home_Hops1.jpg
Hops_June_1.jpg

From Wikipedia:
Hops are the female flower cones of the hop plant (Humulus lupulus). They are used primarily as a flavoring and stability agent in beer, and also in other beverages and in herbal medicine. The first documented use in beer is from the eleventh century. Hops contain several characteristics favorable to beer, balancing the sweetness of the malt with bitterness, contributing flowery, citrus, fruity or herbal aromas, and having an antibiotic effect that favors the activity of brewer's yeast over less desirable microorganisms. The hop plant is a vigorous climbing herbaceous perennial, usually grown up strings in a field called a hopfield, hop garden or hop yard. Many different varieties of hops are grown by farmers all around the world, with different types being used for particular styles of beer.

Back to the regularly scheduled program:

You add hops to the boil to extract the bittering compounds.

Next, you cool the boiled wort. When it is cool, you add BREWERS YEAST. Brewers yeast is specifically cultured to make beer. Yeast converts sugar to alcohol and carbon dioxide. The CO2 escapes, leaving you with alcohol (among other things). Now you have beer!

I hope this was helpful. Please read howtobrew.com before asking more questions. Its one thing to not understand a minor part of the process (like proper sparging technique). Its another thing to ask how you get alcohol out of hops...

Back