Poperings Hommel Ale yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jxs226

Reaction score
Folks, I propagated the yeast from a 750mL bottle of Poperings Hommel Ale and stepped it twice to a 2L starter. I pitched this 2L starter into a 1.072 wort prepared from the following grain bill which aimed to mimic the Hommel Ale:

5.5 gals
OG 1.072

11lbs Belgian Pilsner Malt
1lb Munich Dark - 10L
1lb Wheat Malt
2lbs Cane Sugar (10mins)

1oz Super Styrians (7%) (First wort hopped)
0.5oz Styrian Goldings (4%) (First wort hopped)
0.5oz Saaz (3%) (First wort hopped)

0.5oz Styrian Goldings (4%) (10mins)
0.5oz Saaz (3%) (10mins)

0.5oz each whole leaf Saaz and Kent Goldings (dry hop 7 days)

I cooled the wort to 66F and oxygenated with pure O2 for 4 minutes before pitching.

I installed a blowoff tube and stood back as this yeast went nuts for two days before coming to a sudden halt on the third day. Worried, I pulled a sample and was astonished that this yeast had taken the wort down to 1.008.

The flavor at this stage is amazing with a beautiful honeyed finish. The Poperings yeast is supposed to be highly attenuative and given these results, I am guessing they do not re-yeast with another strain at bottling. In any case, this beer tastes great and this yeast is a beast that ferments quickly, thoroughly, and adds great flavors. Just thought I'd relate my experience.

Back