Why still bubbling?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

takoch

Reaction score
Brewed a 2-gallon batch of mead three months ago. OG=1.080. Kept at 70* F. SG has been at 0.998 for the past several weeks, but I still see a fair amount of tiny bubbles rising to the surface. Surely the yeast is done working by now, as there is nothing left for it to ferment. Is it possible that there is some other bacteria working? Or am I, like every other first time mead brewer, being impatient? Oh, and when I last sampled it, it tasted a little like honey, but mostly overripe citrus (and banana?), and vodka. Nearly undrinkable.

Thanks for any feedback.

IMG_0385.jpg

It'll need at least 4 months aging if not more to be really drinkable, preferably a year. Then it'll be really tasty. What yeast did you use? Some yeasts have trouble totally drying out (0.995) and will still keep on kickin' a bit for a long while, unless you sorbate or cold crash.

As he said the yeast might still be kicking slightly or its possible you're seeing co2 exit the must if you haven't degassed

Thanks for the speedy replies! I used Wyeast 4632 dry mead yeast. I've read it can take a long time to finish out, so I plan to let it sit for another few months before I worry about how it tastes. I'm just curious if there are any signs that things are going horribly wrong.

The clearest signs of things going horribly wrong is if it smells very vinegary or sulfery, or if there is signs of mold growth in your carboy. Contamination is a mead makers biggest enemy.

Did you use EC-1118? I thought I read somewhere because its a champagne yeast it can cause the must to retain its carbonation.

I don't think there's anything magical about champagne yeast that causes retention of carbonation... Actually, the Wyeast Dry Mead strain that the OP mentioned (one of my favorites, btw) is a champangne yeast. What the OP is seeing is off-gassing of dissolved CO2.

Back