Irish Red Ale Raging Red Irish Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I put this recipe in beersmith and it says to mash with like 12.something quarts of water and sparge with 19.something. Does this sound right?

the amount of water needed depends solely on how you are mashing , if you sparge, and your equipment. For me, I do my 5 gallon batches BIAB and 10 gallon batches I do traditional 3V with batch sparge.

If you setup your equipment correctly in beersmith2, then it should be close on the water needed. the calculator listed above is also a great tool to have and will get you the answer you want. just a matter of personal preference

This thread always gets very active a few months before paddy's day. :D

I brewed this about a 16 months ago and it was a nice beer but not near as good as some people say on here.

It was however only my third batch, I used Mt. Hood instead of Crystal and I drank it all between the 1st and 4th week in the bottle. So I'm going to try it again and see if I can improve on my last attempt.

Give it some time to age and you will se how good it is

Just sampled the primary. Wow. Hardest part is going to be not drinking it to fast. Thanks for the great recipe.

Made a five gallon batch of an extract version of this and had to comment on it. I'm typically a big hop head, but this beer is delicious! I'll post my exact recipe when I get a chance, but I was really surprised at the great flavors in this beer. Thanks OP!

Bottled today hit FG 1.009. How long do you recommend bottle condition?

Anyone tried dry hopping this? As much as I loved it I have a feeling it wont last long and want to switch it up next time (thanks OP this is a keeper in my book)

Anyone tried dry hopping this? As much as I loved it I have a feeling it wont last long and want to switch it up next time (thanks OP this is a keeper in my book)

I thought about it. Input would be great from anyone if they have.

------------

12.0 oz Weyermann Caraaroma (??? SRM) Grain

12.0 oz Briess Caramel 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain

8.0 oz Briess Carapils Grain

3.3 lbs Muntons Maris Otter LME Extract

2.0 Lbs Briess DME Golden Light extract

1.00 oz Crystal [4.30 %] - Boil 60.0 min 6.6 IBUs Hop

1.00 oz Cascade [5.90 %] - Boil 30.0 min 17.5 IBUs Hop

1.00 Items Irish Moss (Boil 5.0 mins) Fining
-
1.0 pkg Irish Ale (Wyeast 1084) Yeast
-
1 lbs Honey (1.0 SRM) Sugar

I altered Mysticmead's qoute

OK Shooting for brewing this on Wednesday. I hope the Maris Otter will not change the color too much. The store suggested this to add English flavor.

bottle condition just like any other beer.. as far as dry hopping./.. makes a great American Amber if you dry hop with some American hops. I did it with Citra... loved it

Mysticmead,

I think I saw that you go 4 weeks in primary and then keg. What's your kegging schedule? Do you cellar-temp condition it (and for how long), or do you force carb at 20-30 psi, or do you do "set-and-forget" at serving temp/pressure for 2 weeks?

@Jcruse - I cannot answer for @Mysticmead, but after primary I just set it and forget it for 2 weeks at serving pressure/temp. Came out great.

Brewing this today and pitching Dennys Favorite 50. Never used this yeast before. Curious how it will pan out.

I used dennys 50 and it finished real quick for me snd the fermentation did not need a blow off tube. Bottled last weekend cant wait to try it.

Impatience got the best of me, tried one at 4 days. Wasn't carbed up yet, but now its been a week so 1-2 more weeks is gonna be a long time

This is my hydrometer reading 10 days into fermentation. How does the color look to you guys? Not sure why my gravity is so low either..research I have done says that my mash temp was too low. Can anyone back that up?

Hydrometer 10 days.jpg

Is the hydrometer actually floating? From the pic it appears to be touching the bottom of your tube. What was your OG?

Mysticmead,

I think I saw that you go 4 weeks in primary and then keg. What's your kegging schedule? Do you cellar-temp condition it (and for how long), or do you force carb at 20-30 psi, or do you do "set-and-forget" at serving temp/pressure for 2 weeks?

I've done set it and forget it many times..and other times I set it at 30 psi and roll the keg back and forth for 5-10 minutes.. both times were after the beer was chilled. both ways work and produce the same beer.

Ok guys, looks like my hydrometer is reading 1.001 today.. What the heck is going on? This is 11 days into fermentation. Another thing I should note, I added my honey after a day in the primary instead of flameout. Could that also factor in my low reading?

Hydrometer 11 days.jpg

Hydrometer 11 days 2.jpg

Ok guys, looks like my hydrometer is reading 1.001 today.. What the heck is going on? This is 11 days into fermentation. Another thing I should note, I added my honey after a day in the primary instead of flameout. Could that also factor in my low reading?

Did you boil the Honey in water before adding it to the primary?
If not maybe you introduced some wild yeast from the Honey that has fermented the sugars that are usually non-fermentable for "normal" beer yeast. How does it taste - a bit funky?

If not maybe you introduced some wild yeast from the Honey that has fermented the sugars that are usually non-fermentable for "normal" beer yeast. How does it taste - a bit funky?

it just tastes a little dry. I did not boil it.

I brewed this last fall and it kicked promptly. So fast, in fact, that I thought my keg was leaking gas until I lifted the keg itself. I brewed it a second time with Murphy's Law in full effect. My local HBS didn't have the same ingredients, I ran out of propane, and finished brewing past dark in the freezing cold. The second batch of what I called Freckled Red the first time around was dubbed Freckled Red's Bitchy Little Sister. Oddly enough, the grain flavor is more prominent and even has a fresher taste. Thanks again, Mysticmead, for this tremendous recipe! Next time I brew it, I am going to add the honey.

Honey is an antiseptic. There wont be any wild yeast in it. Boiling jus boils away the aroma and flavors

What temp did u mash at? For how long?

I found out I have a very inaccurate thermometer (I ordered a new one right after this brew and will be here tomorrow). But my reading showed my water was at 163, so I added it to my mash tun and added my grains and about 10 minutes later I did a reading and it was jumping from the low 140s - 148.. I didn't add anymore water until I sparged, I just stirred it and let it set and wrapped it with a blanket. Beersmith said to mash at 148.

If you have not bottled, and you dont want this beer to be as dry, heres an option:
Brew another batch, mash at 158, ferment it out, (it should finish high), then blend the 2....

If you have not bottled, and you dont want this beer to be as dry, heres an option:
Brew another batch, mash at 158, ferment it out, (it should finish high), then blend the 2....

I just finished bottling about an hour ago... you can see my post "Bottling rant" in the rant section for further info lol. I drank a few oz. out of the bottling bucket and it didn't taste bad at all.

This seems to be taking forever to carb up compared to my other beers, mine didn't come out as red as other people's have, and I think it needs more time which I knew was just being impatient and drank one each on two separate occasions(been in bottle 10 days)

I complained to swmbo that it wasn't done, wasn't as good as it was supposed to be, and needs more time to be a great beer. She pointed out that it can't be that bad seeings how I finished them in 3 "sips".

Just to clarify I'm not criticizing the recipe but in fact my brewing process. I do however believe that in another week or two this will be a great beer if I can forget about them. The body is thinner than I expected, but that could be me as I've been on a stout kick lately.

Back