A Little Help From My Friends?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SkaBoneBenny

Reaction score
Hey dudes, any chance I can get someone to run one of those Brewmaster programs for me? I brewed a Sam Adams Summer Ale clone from the North American Clone book last week. Whne I first checked the hydromiter it was in the 1.070's!! I panicked and then remembered I had become impatient and checked it when it was not completely done cooling. So I figured it was fine. The hydromiter was just off.

Today I checked it's gravity and progress and it was at 1.050! Once again I panicked. It had a very healthy krausen, as if it had just recently risen. Then I realized I had put it in a room which is currently 60 degrees as opposed to its usual 70. Damn climate craziness. So I figure it might have been at 1.055 originally or so and just very very very slowly come done.

Anyways, can someone check the grains and extract I used with Brewsmith or whatnot just to make sure I didn't use too much grain? The only change I made in the clone book recipe was using dry as opposed to liquid extract. I figured this might change at most a point of alcohol percentage.

I used the following:
1 pound of Pilsner Malt
.5 pound Carapils
1 pound Oats

3 pounds light DME
3 pounds wheat DME

I also used a very very small amount of grains of paradise and an ounce of lemon zest.
Am I nuts? Thanks for the help.
-Ben

PS If you can't tell I've been drinking... I brewed a SNPA clone and had a few homebrews in the process. Forgive my mistakes please.

Well, the verdict is in... 6.5 % potential alcohol. That's a little high I'd say, for a light Summer Ale... so what am I gonna do with this batch? I mean have you ever had a summer ale that strong? Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I guess I can only wait though. Anyone had this happen to them before?
-Ben

Well, it all depends on your finished gravity. I'd let it age a while and work on a lighter recipe next time if it turns our a wee heavy.

I should have known not to use DME.... I'll definatly do it lighter next time. I wonder what it will be like. This does seem like a classic mistake, but I don't know many other people who have made it.
-Ben

EdWort said:
You can go online and type it in here.

It's a pretty cool recipe calculator

Nice link Ed, but dammit, I've been playing with that thing all day now!!!
:drunk:

The good news is, that all of my recipes, but one are within or very close to being within style guidlines(not that I care).

The IBU's on my Hefe are a little over the top, but hey, the 2 ounces of Cascades really make the beer.

I also had just recently converted all of my extract recipes to all grain (placed my grain order yesterday!) and they too were perfect.

Thanks again!
:mug:

SkaBoneBenny said:
Well, the verdict is in... 6.5 % potential alcohol. That's a little high I'd say, for a light Summer Ale... so what am I gonna do with this batch? I mean have you ever had a summer ale that strong? Something about it rubs me the wrong way. I guess I can only wait though. Anyone had this happen to them before?
-Ben

you cold always water it down a touch. I know it's not the ideal situation but . . .

Back