Saison Troubadour (first Saison)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

steelerguy

Reaction score
Just got this in the fermenter and pitched the Wyeast 3724 tonight.

Batch size: 6 gallons

10 lbs. Belgian Pils
1 lb. Flaked Wheat
1 lb. Munich Malt
1 lb. Cane Sugar
2 oz. Caramunich III
Total - 12 lbs. 2 oz. grain, 1 lb. sugar

60 mins 1.0 oz. Perle 8.0
1 min 0.5 oz. Hallertau 3.0
1 min 0.5 oz. Czech Saaz 4.0
Dry hop 0.5 oz. Hallertau 3.0
Dry hop 0.5 oz. Czech Saaz 4.0
IBU - 28.8

Original Gravity
Color
5° SRM
Mash Efficiency
78%

Pitch: 78 degrees
4 hours: 82 degrees
12 hours: 86 degrees
24 hours: 90 degrees

I actually didn't add the cane sugar yet either, was going to wait until it starts to slow down and then add it. I figured I would use this as a jump start if it starts to stick since it seems to be an issue with this yeast.

The hot break was huge in this batch and really coagulated, looked strange while boiling. Only put 5 gallons of crystal clear wort into the fermenter, got tired of trying to strain break material. Color was exactly what I was shooting for.

Excited about this one! Had my first Saison a few weeks ago and knew I had to have a batch ready for summer!

I have a saison fermenting now with the Wyeast 3724, it's been 3 weeks kept it in the mid 70s, it's still at about .021. I used a kit put together from my local brew shop but it's a partial, though similar only w/out any dry hopping. What I tasted at my last reading was good though very citrus, grapefruit, lemon flavor. I've read and I'm sure you have too here about stuck or just really slow fermenting from this yeast. I've been debating to just rack it and pitch nutrient or wait on it until it's down before racking it. Any advice?

Just wait it out until it's finished. My last batch with 3724 stopped at 1.030-ish but eventually ended up at 1.004. It took about 3 weeks to finish if I remember correctly.

Back