Hopped Skeeter Pee

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danz

Reaction score
7 lbs sugar (or 16 cups)
2 Bottles of 32oz 100% Lemon Juice
2 Bottle of 15oz ReaLime Juice
3 Lipton Black Tea Bags
6 tsp Yeast Nutrient
2 tsp Yeast Energizer
6 Campden Tablets
1.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
1oz Amarillo Hops
4+ gallons water
1 pack of Lavlin D-47

I have made the original Skeeter Pee Recipe a couple of times and was a huge hit with everyone. I have slowly been tweaking the recipe and after stumbling across this article about a hopped lemonade drink thought I would dry hop and super happy with the results.

1) If you are using fresh yeast start to hydrate it now so it will be ready to kick ass when your finished.

2) Invert all that sugar by adding it into a large stainless cooking pot along with 8 cups water and 1/3 cup lemon juice. Dissolve all the sugar and keep just under a boil for 30 minutes.

3) Make some hot water and steep your tea bags to supplement for the tannins. Add 3 tsp of Yeast Nutrient and 1 tsp of Yeast Energizer and dissolve into the tea.

4) Add 2 gallons of cooled purified water into a fermentation vessel along with 1 bottle of lemon juice. Add your inverted sugar and tea mixture the top off with 2 more gallons of water. If you are using a glass carboy you may want to add some water to cool down the sugar and not shock the glass.

5) Shake the hell out of it to oxygenate and pitch your yeast!

6) After a couple of days fermentation should be going good and once the gravity hits 1.025 or lower add 3 tsp of Yeast Nutrient and 1 tsp of Yeast Energizer and let it finish fermentation and 1 tsp Pectic Enzyme.

7) Mix 6 Campden Tablets crushed and 1.5 tsp Potassium Sorbate dissolved in to water a little bit of hot water. Once its all dissolved add into secondary and rack on top along with the 2 bottles of lemon juice and 2 bottles of Lime juice.

8) After about a week add the 1oz of Amarillo hops and leave in for about a week, if you dont want to be fishing out hops you can place them in a hop sack or strain them out.

Back Sweeten to taste and enjoy ice cold. I personally like this carbonated but after having so many issues with gushers and bottle bombs I prefer to kill it then add some club soda or force carb.

*Now If you have a stuck fermentation or like me the first time you added the lime juice too early (It has Sodium Metabisulfite & Sodium Benzoate) but adding 2 packs of Red Star Pasteur Champagne it fired right up to finish.

Enjoy!

I used pellets, the first time I experimented I made the simple syrup from the link with pacific gem and added some to a dry skeeter pee and wow. It was the wrong hop flavor but I could see where it could go if you did use the right hop like Amarillo.

Make some hopped simple syrup and give it a go, you will be dry hopping your next batch :)

Back