Sand Pear wine and the runs???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

peachcarmelsoda

Reaction score
So basically i've got these pear trees and i get a few truck loads of pears every year.

I was wondering if they would make a decent wine.

The thing i have the most concern about is if you eat 2-3 of the pears raw u WILL poop urself.

But if you cook the pears or make a relish with them they have no ill effects.

So anyone think the pears pressed and made into wine would give me the runs???

Swmbo's brothers don't tolerate apple juice or cider. Won't be giving them my apfelwein anytime soon! However, I have a bunch of pear and sugar pear trees in my yard, so it may be doable to try pear wine at some point...

I have done exactly this and it does work, you have to treat the pear juice with K meta to kill all the bacteria and what not....technically you should be able to pick a pear off the tree and eat it without getting sick, I have done it before and didn't have any problems like you are describing. You can also heat the juice to 160 degrees and that should kill everything...... BTW the wine you are trying to make is called Perry and it is not very popular however some people do really enjoy it.

I don't know anything about holistic medicine, but I think a wine that makes you vacate your bowels would be the best holistic medicine.

But lets face it... who hasn't had the drunk $#!^s before? I don't think this wine would do anything that other booze hasn't already accomplished.

The high content of insoluble fiber can cause a laxative effect as can the pectin content. Unripe pears are even more aggravating.

Back