Another virgin batch of hard cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tenchiro

Reaction score
I just assembled my first batch, from memory on recipes I have read. I basically just took 5gal of juice, and Cote De Blancs yeast. I am not sure where the hell I got the idea of adding a pint of maple syrup but I threw that in too.

Reading around now I find that nobody mentioned that part, so I guess this is a grand experiment. :drunk:

Wish me luck.

I got up this morning and was dismayed to see no activity. I went back a couple of hours later and saw that fermentation had started and as of now is stil going strong. It is producing very nice perfectly white bubbles and has pushed it's way into my airlock 2-3 times.

as of the last cleaning of the airlock there was enough displaced volume in the carboy to keep the airlock clean.

How long should I leave it in the carboy, a month? Also for priming can I do so with more apple juice or is 3/4c corn sugar the best?

Took a sample today. The gravity is currently at 1.010 or 1.011 and it is very dry, yet sweet and there is a slight soapy note in the background, which I assume will mellow with age. I never took the SG though so I am not sure how strong it is, but 8oz of the stuff got me a slight buzz. :cross:

A cider like that, I'd recommend leaving it in primary for a month, then rack to secondary for a month, then either rack again and bulk age for a few more months (if you want it still), or prime (3/4 cups dextrose) and bottle condition.

Adolphus79 said:
A cider like that, I'd recommend leaving it in primary for a month, then rack to secondary for a month, then either rack again and bulk age for a few more months (if you want it still), or prime (3/4 cups dextrose) and bottle condition.

I wasplanning on leaving it for at least a month then deciding after that to bottle it or put it to a secondary.

My god... this cider still has some airlock activity but the gravity reading tonight it 1.002! There is almost no residual sweetness left and it is incredibly tart and dry. The aroma is still a bit soapy but the taste is very crisp and smooth with a tiny little bit of astringency in the background, possibly from the smell.

I am gonna let it primary for the whole month still but I had no idea it could ferment to such extremes.

Back