Sporting events: Chant or sing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sporting events. Chant or Song?

• Singing is fun and supportive.

• Chanting is fun and supportive.

• Both are stupid, shut up you moron.

• I prefer to clap politely.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Laughing_Gnome_Invisible

Reaction score
Probably my stupidest question ever. It's pretty self explanatory though. What do you think sounds better or is more fun to do or listen to? Chants, eg: USA, USA USA or songs, eg: Ole, ole ole oleeee, oleee,Oleee. Or who ate all the pies? who ate all the pies? You fat bastard, you fat bastard, you ate all the pies!

Culturally, I am biased toward song, but in some sporting events a chant is maybe more effective. Your views?

Outside of a world competition like the world cup or the Olympics, I've never heard either happen in American sports.

Mostly it's just yelling expletives. Like "Ref you're ****ing blind." or "Kill the g-damn zebra."

Outside of a world competition like the world cup or the Olympics, I've never heard either happen in American sports.

Mostly it's just yelling expletives. Like "Ref you're ****ing blind." or "Kill the zebra."

Sorry, I meant world sports, I just watched a little ryder cup.

Imagine for a moment there is a rest of the world, just for this thread. :)

Then I'll go with "Both are stupid, shut up you moron."

The were chanting or singing at a golf tourney? I thought that was verboten.

I thought the "Lucky bounce of the ball off the crowd" was kinda forbidden too....But that's just sports. :)

The poll needs a Ralph Nader option. All polls should have a Ralph option.

I also prefer to yell at referees and umpires. Usually something about eyeware or a cyclops.

The ole thing drives me nuts. But I don't like soccer, so I'm biased against it.

USA chant is great. Go America.

Any kind of singing or chanting is cool. The ROTW has it right. In the US, we're expected to sit their and let the stadium PA system create the noise for us. Lame.

I'm a rugby guy and was lucky enough to see a match between Wales and Scotland in Cardiff. The Welsh sing throughout the entire game to lift the team. Singing is a big part of being Welsh. A former player had a son eligible to play for either Wales or England, and he said "I always knew he'd play for England. He's tone deaf."

I don't hear much singing at the events I've gone to here. Some chants. Mostly at hockey games right before the puck drop the "Dawg Pound" section will chant, "DROP IT, DROP IT, DROP IT" until the ref drops the puck. Then they chant, "THANK YOU.... @SSHOLE!"

But they will also sing along with Sweet Caroline chorus and Will you be my Girl.

Other than that it's usually just random insults at the refs. Unless they make an extra special call our way. In that case I yell "We love you ref!" and everyone laughs.

Homer, that reminds me, for 4 years of college, every night out would end in "Sweet Caroline" no matter what bar/restaurant/party/whatever we were at. It's a fine song, but I have heard it so many times that I want to scrub it from my brain with bleach.

Homer, that reminds me, for 4 years of college, every night out would end in "Sweet Caroline" no matter what bar/restaurant/party/whatever we were at. It's a fine song, but I have heard it so many times that I want to scrub it from my brain with bleach.

Why would anyone sing that.......Anywhere?:drunk:

Back