Cherry Mead?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

luda007

Reaction score
I have been contemplating a cherry mead recently.
I was walking around one of my local grocery stores this evening and saw that they had 100% cherry concentrate.
It comes in a quart container and the label said it had over 1,000 cherries in each quart.

Any suggestions for a recipe using this concentrate?

First check the ingredients and see if it's pure concentrate or if the added any of that yummy high fructose corn syrup or any other foreign crap to it. Is it sweet or sour cherries? If it's pure cherry concentrate it will probably work great.

A recipe I like is a cherry/vanilla/cinnamon

I start by making a batch of traditional (I start all melomels and metheglins this way) and then rack into secondary onto the fruit or in this case the concentrate with an appropriate amount of cinnamon sticks and split vanilla beans. let that all soak until the desired spice flavor is obtained and rack into a tertiary to clear and age.

Not sure about the concentrate, my recommendation though is to just use real cherries as opposed to concentrate unless the cost difference is important(I'm assuming the concentrate is cheaper than 8-10Lbs of cherries for a 5 gallon batch of mead).

Otherwise if you are using the concentrate, I would think you could just make a traditional mead, and then mix in concentrate until you get the taste you are looking for. Disclaimer: I've never made a mead using concentrate before, though I would imagine that approach would work.

This is the last cherry I made which turned out very well, though I hear tart cherries are preferred for a mead: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f30/1st-shot-cherry-mead-258797/

i had a bottle of zombie killer cherry cyser a few weeks ago. it was pretty good. its a mead/cider with a ton of cherry flavor. all of the ingredients should be easily available at any grocery store except for a mead yeast.

That cherry cinammon combination sounds interesting. I have a black cherry that is about 2 months along that I was going to lightly oak before my next racking. I used fresh cherries, not concentrate though. I only used a pound and a half for 1 gal and it only had a mild flavor but again very young.

Was curious though as to how much cinnamon works well with cherry.

That cherry cinammon combination sounds interesting. I have a black cherry that is about 2 months along that I was going to lightly oak before my next racking. I used fresh cherries, not concentrate though. I only used a pound and a half for 1 gal and it only had a mild flavor but again very young.

Was curious though as to how much cinnamon works well with cherry.

I like 2 cinnamon sticks per gallon, then taste it once a week until it is close to where I want it, I usually rack or pull the cinnamon sticks just before the level of spice I want, it seems to intensify just slightly more with aging.

Back