First Time Cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewmaster89

Reaction score
Ok so I have never made cider before but have read a bit about it on here and heard from my buddies who have made it. So here is what I did.

Since I couldn't get unpasteurized apple cider anywhere out here this time of the year, (and if I could it would be an hour and a half drive in my gas guzzling truck) I decided to use Treetop Apple Juice.

Recipe

5.5 Gallons (640 ounces, 10 64oz containers) Treetop Apple Juice
2 Cups Brown Sugar
2 Cups Cane Sugar
.75 Ounces Cinnamon Sticks
Nottingham Yeast Packet
4 Ounces of Tap Water

Directions
I added 4.5 gallons of the Juice into the fermentation bucket. I combined the sugars (both of them), the remaining half gallon of juice and the Cinnamon into a sauce pot and boiled it for 20 minutes. During this time I pitched the yeast in 4 ounces of tap water which was about 90*F at the start.

After the 20 minutes of boiling I combined the Juice/sugar/cinnamon into the straight juice. (I keep my brewing room at 70* so that is room temperature) I added the yeast and then mixed it for about 15 seconds to incorporate oxygen into the mixture.

OG was 1.058

So far that is all I have done. I will add to this as I add more to it. I am going to follow the same recipe as this one tomorrow and do another batch as the brew shop is closed when I get out of work and I won't have time to get the Dextrose to follow another recipe.

Please critique this recipe and tell me what you think I did wrong and I will be sure to update/edit this as time passes and new things show up.

70* F. ambient temp seems a bit warm for a clean fermentation with Nottingham, actual must temp can be as much as 10* higher than ambient temp. You might get some funky flavours at that temp.
Regards, GF.

Latest posts

Back