Can anyone suggest a decent, cheap probe thermometer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SenorPepe

Reaction score
I started doing AG batches fairly recently and so got myself a Taylor 1470 probe thermometer. It was great for my needs; basically an accurate reading, temperature alarms and a timer. But after using it for a few batches it reads something like 30-40 degrees higher than it should, from boiling to room temp to melting ice. After going back to the amazon page and looking at the bad reviews I should have known better. I could get on the phone with Taylor, try to get a replacement probe or the SS braided probe (which costs more than the unit does btw), etc. but I'd rather just get a thermometer that is half-decent to begin with that I shouldn't have to dick around with every few batches. I'm sure there are a ton of opinions out there but can someone suggest a relatively cheap thermometer (preferably about 20 bucks) that they've had durable success with? Thanks.

Did the braided line part of the probe ever get wet? If so water got into the probe and that's probably what caused the issue. It's just as likely to happen to a different brand/model of the same style thermometer. You might be able to dry it out and get it working again by putting the probe in your oven at the lowest setting for a few hours. There's also a thread somewhere around here where BobbyM shows how to waterproof this type of probe using silicone aquarium hose and couple small o-rings.

FWIW I use an Acu-Rite brand with the remote pager (not sure of model #). I made the mistake of getting the braid wet the second time I used it and almost threw it away when it started reading ~60F off. After bringing it back to life and waterproofing it, it's held up fine for ~2 years of use both brewing and grilling.

I've used the 1470 for a couple of years now. Even though it's waterproof, I have tried not to submerge the entire thermometer.

You can get a fisher scientific lollipop style for around $25.

Thanks for the replies folks. I wasn't sure whether it was relevant that a few times the probe and part of the cord were submerged. The motion of a rolling boil and sometimes me stirring it would drop it in. I was always careful and wiped off the cord quickly whenever I noticed it but I'm guessing that is indeed my problem. Kind of a PITA but I guess I won't give up hope on the cheap Taylor yet. Thanks for finding the link Revvy. Cheers.

I need to do it to the one I've been using. I've just been wrapping the cord around my mash paddle and hanging it carefully into the pot, so only the first couple inches of the probe are submerged. I've been wondering if there are any fishing bobbers that could take the heat of a boil. I was thinking about hooking one up midway up the shaft and floating the thermometer.

Like maybe a wooden one?

8d6a619bfbe5c3409b34707c1570e1fa.jpg

e_bejvmb006234_0.jpg

Back