CT Group buy round 2

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It seems like north haven is more central for the majority in a CT group buy than anywhere in MA?

Is there anyone else up north that could transport?

Anybody have an updated catalog?

In for eight confirmed bags if it's a Pittsfield pickup.

Gotta plan a route and see if it's worth the gas money in my truck all the way to North Haven if that's where we end up.

If we choose Pittsfield, I can transport to the CT line south of Lee, MA for anybody that needs it.

Any of you western Mass. guys who need help, I could probably pick yours up and deliver. I get up that way fairly often. This is contingent on where you are, of course. Anything from Lee east to Springfield is fine with me.

Any of you western Mass. guys who need help, I could probably pick yours up and deliver. I get up that way fairly often. This is contingent on where you are, of course. Anything from Lee east to Springfield is fine with me.

All over that if we get to North Haven. Would eight bags be too much?

godrick - 6
NuclearRich - 2
7tom - 2
brewsekerdoo - 3
ShawnZ - 1
Shecky - 2
orangehero - 3
forcabrew - 3
kappclark - 3 (and some hops)
tomj - 8
pernox - 8 (wants 8 if North Haven or Pittsfield)
***(need confirmation from below people)***
SPR-GRN - 1 (possibly 2)
banik - 4 (to 6 still awaiting confirmation)

Total = 46

Who is doing the ordering and receiving, and where? Who is doing the money collecting? I'd prefer to pay cash on pickup.

Who is going to take the lead on gathering what types of grain people want? Who will collect the money? Who will place the order?

I would be willing to take everyones order for what types of grains and put a spreadsheet together to make it easy for the person doing the ordering.

OK, start that ShaunZ. You a leader! You drink first.

2 bag of US 2-row for me, in NYC area or Westchester County or vicinity. If anyone will help me get the grain close to me that's helpful and appreciated. Please place a column in chart for person who will help deliver/assist.

Here's the catalog.

I'd like:
FB‐PALE
TF‐MOPA

and would anyone be interested in splitting a bag of:
CR‐DEXTR50 50lb Dextrose
CM‐RYEM Rye Malt

If possible to get hops I would like:
HU‐90FSS French Striesselspalt
HU‐90WLT Willamette
I'm not sure how hop ordering works, but I would only like 1 lb of each if possible.

Also I sent an inquiry to CountryMalt since they don't list it in the catalog, but if they do sell Five Star 75% Phosphoric Acid, would anyone be interested in splitting a case of that, which should come with 4x1 gal containers?

Thanks for the catalog, educational. My interest was in getting 2 bags of a basic, low cost, 2-row malt. Looks like a 42bag pallet means pricing is 2000-4000lb column.

Breiss 5298 2-Row Brewers Malt $0.55/lb
Bairds BD-PALE Pale Ale $0.55/lb
Great Western GW-2ROW Premium 2-Row $0.54/lb
Canada Malting CM-2ROW Canadian 2-Row $0.46/lb

If anyone would like to chime in ... go with the lower cost CM-2ROW and save the $8 unless their is a reason to spend more? I'd be willing to team in with other people on hops. Plan is to make myself some American IPA liquid refreshment. So would consider getting 2 lb of Cascade Hops Pellet at $6.93/lb spot. If enough people wanted bottle caps, I'd even consider joining in on that. Looks like 10,000 caps is 2100-B-1 $112.00, of which I'd be willing to grab 1000 caps costing me $11.20 as that is pretty cheap (1/4 of the price) compared to other places to purchase caps. Would not need to acquire caps for a while too! Chemical cost is also cheap so I'd consider joining orangehero & other people buying 1 gallon, my share about $29.50, of Star San (5S-STAR4 4 x 1 gallon $118.00)... more than I'd use for a long time - look for me on Craigslist trying to sell half gallon of Star San for $20 or even $25 cash as it's more than I need. That would leave me with 1/2 gallon, 64 oz, for like $10 or less which seems like a no-brainer. Yea, some caps might be included in the CL posting, ha.

Who is going to take the lead on gathering what types of grain people want? Who will collect the money? Who will place the order?

I would be willing to take everyones order for what types of grains and put a spreadsheet together to make it easy for the person doing the ordering.

ShaunZ
PM me for the connection with a NC Malt account.

For grain - sone kind of 2-row, agree with cheaper option
Will probably get hops as well if there is enough interest (is there a minimum order for hops?)

1- BZWHT Best Malz pale wheat
2- BZPils Best Malz pilsner
1- GBESB Gambrinus ESB
2- CM2row. Canadian Malting 2 row
1- TFOPTC Fawcett Optic
1- TFGPRM Fawcett Golden Promise

I'm down for:
1- BD-PALE Bairds Pale Ale
1- TF-MOPA T.Fawcett Maris Otter
1- GW-2ROW Great Western Premium 2Row

BTW - I think Country Malt Group may have dropped the Breiss product line which is still listed in the price list from the link in post #52 above.

Excuse me for putting in but I thought I would clear some stuff up for you. Briess products are now longer available to homebrew clubs. You can buy grains, candi sugar, and chemicals with no problem. There is a separate catalog for homebrew supplies, like hops and spices. Do a separate hop buy. You would be better off contacting another company for hops. The guys in Tennessee us B. Crosby Hop Farm and we got great service and good prices. If you need any further help feel free to PM me.

I'm down for:
1- BD-PALE Bairds Pale Ale
1- TF-MOPA T.Fawcett Maris Otter
1- GW-2ROW Great Western Premium 2Row

BTW - I think Country Malt Group may have dropped the Breiss product line which is still listed in the price list from the link in post #52 above.

Thats what im ordering too!!!! if anyone wants to split a few bags of some other sacks just pm me. im looking for some rye, munich, veinna, and some wheat

Shawn,
If I can get shecky to bring mine up to Lee, I'm in for:

3 CM-2ROW
3 TF-MOPA

godrick

Excuse me for putting in Do a separate hop buy. You would be better off contacting another company for hops. The guys in Tennessee us B. Crosby Hop Farm and we got great service and good prices. If you need any further help feel free to PM me.

OK - if this is true, then I am in for 3 bags, no hops

Do I need to specify #'s from catalog now ?? Let me know, please.

If I can up my order to nine, I'd like to go with

Canada Malting 2-row x3
Canada Malting Pale Ale x3
Baird's Maris Otter x2
Baird's Vienna x1

If not, please drop one bag of Pale.

Are we at $2/bag shipping on this? Also, are we COD, or...?

If there is any space left, I'd take

1 bag Bairds Marris Otter

As for pickup location, I'd prefer either New Haven area or Waterburry area, but willing to travel a bit...

I don't believe I specified which item number I wanted. If anyone wants, I will split a bag of whatever. Just let me know so I can change my order before its too late. As of now :
Two bags of CM-2ROM please and thank you.

ok

1 bag CM-2ROW Canadian 2 row (pg 13)
1 bag CM-MUNH Munich Malt (pg 13)
1 bag BD-VIEN Vienna Malt (Pg 6)

Would anyone be interested in splitting bags of:
CR‐DEXTR50 50lb Dextrose
CM‐RYEM Rye Malt

Here is what I came up with so far. Please review and let me know if there are any corrections. Right now, I have a count of 39 bags from the original people who said they were in. I did not hear from a few people and their names don't have anything listed. I did hear from a few extra people and have included their requests. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

View attachment grain buy.pdf

I'll split the dextrose and rye with orangehero (can we get the dextrose? is it Briess?)

Also, I'd like:

3x CM-2ROW
1x CM-SPIL
1x CM-WHET
1x BD-MOPA

Let me know how payment works, etc.

Also, I'm in Bridgeport and can probably borrow a friend's SUV to transport whatever I can fit after I get mine in down south a bit. Maybe trade some homebrews ^^

2 - CM-2row for me.

Hoping someone can move these 2 bags from wherever they are received to NYC area or Westchester or Danbury. Please let me know, only 2 bags, should fit in back seat easy.

Here is what I came up with so far. Please review and let me know if there are any corrections. Right now, I have a count of 39 bags from the original people who said they were in. I did not hear from a few people and their names don't have anything listed. I did hear from a few extra people and have included their requests. Let me know if anyone has any questions.

Add a second bag of 2-row for me, if you would be so kind.

i have to back out im sorry but brewing will be taking a backseat as i have had some recent unforeseen home construction projects the need to be done due to hurricane irene

FYI- A pallet is 42 sacks. Looks like you have 39 original and 3 people on wait list, including me who would likely get on at 42 sacks. Also, you dont really need 42 sacks, you could go at 39 but shipping is over less bags so higher. I have done other group buys, I cannot volunteer my time in setting this one up, but I can share my experience to make this one run smooth. Has anyone stepped up to actually do the buy, coordinate, picked a drop location w/ a loading dock? Also, when we did ours for some reason pallet jack was not enough and the driver for CMG insisted we use the forklift. Also, concerning a quote...you are going to pay homebrew prices which are higher than those on catalog, unless you have homebrew catalog. It ends up being close to the 1500 lb prices, but not exact...its not enough to not proceed with buy.

next steps are;

someone step up to lead the buy
confirm grain orders. you snooze you lose, dont confirm next in line gets ur spot
contact CMG and get quote (takes a few days) prices will be different than online catalog
get quote back, send emails for payment, last min add/changes
get money thru paypal, again you snooze you lose and next in line gets on buy
call CMG, pay for order and arrange delivery. Typically we are one day out from them. We did a thurs/fri delivery window, with a pick up on the weekend. SAT. People are usually eager to get grain and also many have other ferry their grain for them...so its not a huge time commitment at the drop location

Hope that all helps. whomever is doing this buy...I am happy to get into more details. just PM me

I just got off the phone with Country Malt and need to confirm a couple of things with the delivery. When placing the order, we need to tell them that we need a pallet jack on the truck. That way I can unload it with my forklift because I don't have a loading dock. Otherwise we would have to pay the $75 liftgate fee.

When placing the order, we need to tell them that we need a pallet jack on the truck. That way I can unload it with my forklift because I don't have a loading dock. Otherwise we would have to pay the $75 liftgate fee.

Good call.

Back