Transfer to secondary fermenter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HurricaneR

Reaction score
I am brewing my first batch of beer.
Selected Tasmanian Light Lager, in 7 more days I have to transfer it to the secondary fermenter. Am I supposed to filter it when I transfer it?
Thanks.

Welcome to HBT!

When you transfer to secondary you dont need to filter, you just rack the beer off and leave the yeast behind. How long has the beer been in primary?

If you are using kits (i.e. Coopersm Muntons etc.) then you dont need to worry about whether you are brewing a lager or an ale too much. Id recommend doing up to 5 before moving onto extract or all grain. Read up as much as you can on here and the search feature is your best friend ;) It wont be long before you will be able to design a beer in your head and know what to expect a month later after brewing and conditioning :) Oh and the first rule of homebrewing, be patient. :)

It has been in the primary for 1 week, plan to leave it in for another week and transfer to the refrigerator for 4 weeks.

Problem I am anticipating is my neighbor suggested I use the carboy for the primary fermenter. I have another carboy to transfer it into for the secondary fermenter, but am not sure how to keep the beer on top separate from the yeast on the bottom when I pour it out.

Thanks

I don't plan to brew any more lagers for awhile, takes to long for a product.
Going with an amber ale and then a summer ale.
Also going to try a Mike's Hard lemonade clone.

Another option is to leave it in the primary for 3-4 weeks and skip the secondary. Many do that at this point and find that it results in a cleaner-tasting beer.

If you are going to use a secondary, you want to siphon it off of the trub, and keep the trub from being transferred.

Problem I am anticipating is my neighbor suggested I use the carboy for the primary fermenter. I have another carboy to transfer it into for the secondary fermenter, but am not sure how to keep the beer on top separate from the yeast on the bottom when I pour it out.

Thanks

Oh no no no. You dont 'pour it out' ! You need to siphon it gently without splashing into the other carboy. If you splash the beer too much while you transfer, you oxygenate it and that may produce some off flavors. Do you have a siphon? The auto siphon is easy to use and only about $12 at the homebrew shop. You start the siphon around the middle or the top of the beer and do it gently so as not to disturb the yeast at the bottom. Easy. Good luck!

Back