mash tun to boil kettle oxidation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBrady

Reaction score
Does splashing wort from the mash tun to boil kettle cause any oxidation problems? Or does all oxidation problems come during and post fermentation? thanks for any info.

There's the old "hot-side aeration" stuff, but that seems to just be a boogeyman of brewing. I splash my wort everywhere and haven't noticed any of the common hot-side aeration symptoms.

Oxidation problems come during and post-fermentation, so don't worry about it :)

I think big breweries worry about Hot Side oxidation but most homebrewers don't need to as much.

That being said, I siphon out of the MLT and don't splash. Ball valves and hoses are pretty cheap.

You won't notice any short term effects. HSA isn't really a concern to homebrewers because we have complete control of our bottling and storage unlike most breweries. I'd keep splashing of wort and aeration of the mash to a minimum, but I wouldn't sweat it if it happens.

You think these folks worry about it? :D

I'll save you the bother of searching...

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f36/hot-side-aeration-so-im-idiot-71873/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/who-afraid-hsa-76779/

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f13/hot-side-aeration-71806/

HSA is something that get's discussed by commercial brewers in journals, and some overzealous homebrewer then starts worrying about it, and it get spread into the HOBBY community, with little understanding...and then people brewing thier first beer start threads worrying about it...

So don't sweat your new brewer head about HSA....or anything, you beer is much hardier than you think...

:mug:

Last edited by a moderator:
Revvy, do you search for those every time, or do you have a file of common links for common threads? You're a ninja with the links!

Revvy has a whole bunch of copypasta saved up that he reuses a lot. Everything he has saved probably satisfies at least 60% (likely more) of the questions asked here.

Revvy has a whole bunch of copypasta saved up that he reuses a lot. Everything he has saved probably satisfies at least 60% (likely more) of the questions asked here.

More like 90. :D

I just have answered most questions so many times, I just do an advanced search on myself, and find what I'm looking for really fast.

I almost put 90%, but I didn't want to make people feel bad about asking the same questions all the time :D

We transfer from the Mash Tun to the outlet of the brew kettle so bottom filled so no splashing there, but when we take a sample for the hydrometer. We always yell “don’t splash the Wort” as we throw the sample back in (beginning sample) . We used to be anal about splashing but like a lot of brew gospel, it is a myth

Back