Washing Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roxtar

Reaction score
I was in a rush to wrap up bottling a hefeweizen and wanted to save the yeast so I just added some water to the yeast cake in the carboy, swirled it around and put it in a sterilized jar and threw it in the fridge. After looking at some thread I'm thinking I should shake this up, let it sit for 20 minutes and pour the liquid that doesn't settle out into 1 or 2 jars. Any thoughts on this?

Also, since the yeast has been sitting on the trub for a few days will this affect the yeast at all or should it be good for the next batch?:cool:

You're good. You want that yeast that's on the trub in the jar, but not the trub. Timing is key in letting the trub settle first but still having the yeast pourable. Since it's hefe yeast it may pour off easily without swirling it back into suspension even after a lot of time in the fridge.

Back