Saving wort for starters (unconventional way)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wildwest450

Reaction score
I totally redid my mashtun. There's no way in hell im brewing a full batch without testing it first. My plan is to do a small batch of just plain ole 2row @ 1.040 and use the wort for starters. I'm doing this on a whim and don't have the proper equipment on hand.

So my plan is to use quart freezer bags to put 16 to 20 oz of wort in and freeze.
Then thaw, boil and tada a pint starter. Is this sane? I know the bags will hold up, am I asking for infections? I really don't want to pour 2 gallons of wort down the drain. And I sure don't want to boil chill and starsan the freezer bags first, what do you all think??

if you boil for 15 min or so to pasteurize/sanitize, i can't see why you'd have any more infection risk than anything else we do. i'd do it.

After I rack the wort off the boil debris I sometimes take the remainder and filter through a coffee filter, dilute to 1.035, and freeze in those disposable containers. Like Buzzcraft said, I boil it for 20 minutes and im GTG for a starter.

I did this to test my first MLT. works fine. do cool the wort down as much as possible, then bag, freeze and boil to sanitize the starter wort.

If you can find a pressure cooker that is large enough to hold 1qt jars, I find that is the ideal method to store starter wort. The sterilized jars of wort can be stored in your pantry, and you don't have to worry about microbial contamination (which *will* happen, even in the freezer..just slowly).

I would think zip lock bags should work just fine, you can even boil the wort right in the bags in a pot of water if you want to.

Latest posts

Back