Bad Smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zproducer

Reaction score
I am trying my first cider, I pitched ale yeast but fermentation did not start after 4 days so i pitched another packet of yeast and it took off. It's been fermenting for 3 days now, but it has a horrible smell of rotten eggs. I can smell it comming out of the airlock, and when I popped the top off of the fermenter it was really bad. This is my first cider, so I don't know if this is normal or if I should dump it and start again. Any help would be appreciated!

This question brought me to this site. I started my first batch two days ago and there's almost no foam on the top, there are some bubbles, and it smells terrible. I made the mistake of sticking my nose in after i cracked the lid and I nearly fell over and soiled myself.

My questions, is anyone stirring theirs? I'm going for 10 days in the primary, 2 months in the secondary, prime, bottle and drink after a month in bottles...does this sound similar to your batches??

Thanks

Back