Home from the Canadian Wilderness!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I just walked in the door. I have a few bugbites, some sunburn, windburn, and about 1000 pictures of walleye and northern pike.

What did I miss? (Besides beer........ :D)

Would love to see some pics. I love trips like that, but seldom go. My last "nature" vacation was four years ago out West.

We didn't "rough it" too much- we drove 12 hours, then flew on a float plane to NW Ontario to an outpost cabin. We saw four moose, a few bears, about 100,000 mice in the cabin, and had a great time. We dealt with some high winds, some rain, some cold weather, and some hot weather. It was awesome! Here are a couple of pictures:
DSCF2901.jpg

DSCF2910.jpg

DSCF2942.jpg

DSCF2918.jpg

DSCF3008.jpg

Nice Northern, what did it weigh...12-15 lbs?

No idea! He wasn't very big, but I didn't measure him. The tape measure on the side of the boat goes up to 30 inches, and he wasn't too much bigger than that. Maybe about 34-35 inches long? I haven't ever weighed a fish, but these northern seemed "skinnier" than the ones around here.

I hauled in maybe 100 northerns over the week, not counting the ones that broke off right many times! I didn't use a leader very often, since on the sunny days the walleyes seemed a bit spooked by a leader. Once a northern hit, my line broke right off.

Absolutely beautiful. Looks like you had a great time. Hope the bear you saw was from afar :) That yellow bucket isn't a fermenter, is it? :p

The bears were seen from far off- I've seen them much closer at home (like in my yard). The yellow bucket was for the fish guts- we boated them out to an island for the eagles and gulls, and to keep the bears away from camp.

We ate walleye 8 days in a row. We had walleye pan fried, deep fried, BBQ'd, baked, honey fried, wrapped in bacon and grilled, in sandwiches, stirfried with greens and rice, etc.

We went with another couple, and had a blast. I'm sure we'll do it again next year. I really missed my dog, though!

Ok, if you ask me nice I'll tell you of a few spots.

(I sure hope you're posting from "on the road", by the way!)

Yeah, I posted on my phone.

I was supposed to hook up with one of the guys at Hereford and Hops, but didn't write down their number. Didn't even think about logging in with my phone until I got home again. We went there and I didn't hear from them, so I thought we must have missed each other.

Using the phone is a bit of a hassle, but it works as long as I can stand tapping away with a stylus.

Latest posts

Back