muslin bag

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mbrady64

Reaction score
Does anyone put their hops in a muslin bad while boiling? I saw a video of a guy doing this on hombrewers.com and it seemed like a good idea because it eliminates the trub. Thanks for your input!

They're only useful with whole hops, pellets will dissolve into goo during the boil. Personally, I just strain my wort through a fine mesh strainer when i transfer from kettle to primary.

That goes right along with what I wanted to ask. When you strain off the hops, how much flavor are you losing? Does it make a difference in the final product?

It should not make much differnece at all. Your bittering hops have long been in your beer and you finishing hops have done there job. If you want more hop aroma, then dry hop in your secondary

Didn't want more hops. The g.f. likes a less hoppy beer along the Scottish Ale lines. Sometimes I do too. What's a good S.A. recipe?

i use hop bags all the time. i have to with my plate chiller.. they work fine and make for semi-easy cleanup..

I just did a brew called "Fire in the hole" I used 5 bags.

The secondary require hops and wood chips. I used bags.

I find them to work great, no flavor loss and easy to rack later on. With easy clean up.

I use hop bags all the time with pellet hops. Just leave plenty of room for them to expand in the bag. The bags are cheap and once you use them you will never go back to straining!!

I use NYLON hop bags for every brew. I use pellets probably on 80% of my recipes. Huge difference in keeping the hops where they need to be (not in my fermenter).

I think I've been using the same 3 bags for 8 years. Those nylon bags last forever.

Hop bags are the best! The Pellets do not strain out of the bag into your wort. After the wort has been cooled I soak my hands in Sanitizer and then squeeze the wort soaked up by both the pellets and the leaf hops and then toss the bags. No fuss no muss.

:tank:

Back