Jimmy's 15 Gallon eBIAB Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Despite not having the correct temp probe, I decided I would take the thing for a test run anyway with an English IPA. The one unknown here was how the filter would work pre-pump. Well, it was a nightmare.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443964632.170627.jpg

We all know how bad it is when the pump doesn't get water to the inlet, right? I should have known better. The filter clogged pretty much at the first hop addition with the hot break and pellet hops. I tried everything that I could do to make this thing work through the batch and to the finish so I could do some type of whirlpool but had no luck.

I did get some wort out of it!

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443964809.062711.jpg

So, back to the drawing board and put the filter post-pump as I was originally planning to do. So I've mounted the filter and changed my hoses around. I still need to add on to the outlet of the filter but here is the plan.

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443964912.442484.jpg

View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1443964925.944305.jpg

I also remembered that I had a temp probe and compression attachment welded to a tri clamp so I installed that and tested it for leaks and temperature. All is good in that aspect.

Lastly, I used an oscillating fan to disperse the steam. Well, because I didn't have a temp probe to regulate the PID to regulate the element, I had a pretty hard boil throughout. The basement was HOT and HUMID. And the wife was on my ass about the smell. So it seems as though my next step is the ventilation system.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the filter, but not surprised. Best of luck working through it.

Sorry to hear you are having issues with the filter, but not surprised. Best of luck working through it.

Yep, we'll see how the current setup works. Based on the design of the kettle with the side pickup, I'm hoping there will be a good amount of matter left behind. That coupled with the pump putting force to the inlet of the pump, I have high hopes. We shall see.

Latest posts

Back