Apfelwein... carb vs. non-carbonation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I just wanted to confirm that 12 oz bottles and caps can handle up to 4 volumes of CO2.

I will be bottling tomorrow so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

mrfocus said:
Sorry to bring up a dead thread, but I just wanted to confirm that 12 oz bottles and caps can handle up to 4 volumes of CO2.

I will be bottling tomorrow so I wanted to make sure.

Thanks.

I've done 3.5 volumes of CO2 and in my opinion it is more than enough. I hope that helps.

Mike

Reviving a dead thread...

I'm going to assume that you guys are all priming the original recipe, specifically you used Montrachet yeast?

Also , most ciders I've had are relatively light in carbonation, this is from extensive testing with a very precise burpometer.

My plan is to do all carbonated with standard 5 oz in 5 gallons. Then I'm going to bottle approx. half the batch, then add about 12 splenda packets (boiled like priming sugar) to have some sweet ones...

Anyone sweeten theres?

coeceo said:
Also , most ciders I've had are relatively light in carbonation, this is from extensive testing with a very precise burpometer.

My plan is to do all carbonated with standard 5 oz in 5 gallons. Then I'm going to bottle approx. half the batch, then add about 12 splenda packets (boiled like priming sugar) to have some sweet ones...

I think it's a mistake to think of Apfelwein (at least that made by this recipe) as "cider." Think "sparkling wine" and you'll be in the ballpark. I greatly prefer it carbonated, and I force carb most of mine.

My girlfriend sometimes puts a touch of splenda in her glass, when she's in the mood for something just slightly sweet. I've tasted it that way, it's not bad.

BlindLemonLars said:
My girlfriend sometimes puts a touch of splenda in her glass, when she's in the mood for something just slightly sweet. I've tasted it that way, it's not bad.

I was mostly thinking of the GF with the sweetening idea. Thanks for the input I'll let her sweeten to her liking and will bottle it w/out the splenda.

coeceo said:
half the batch, then add about 12 splenda packets (boiled like priming sugar) to have some sweet ones...

Anyone sweeten theres?
I would suggest doing some with more...some with less when it comes to Splenda. I put a tbs on a wine bottle.. It's great!! when you mix it about 3 parts unsweetened, to 1 part sweet...But this is still. I thought it wasn't enough when bottled...but cows it's too much now. I think it'd be just about right for a carbed version. My problem is that I am just now (2 months and 20 gallons later) Back to the original recipe. I had to do some of the knee jerk batches that you come up with when you see bottles that say 100% Juice....even if they are not apple.

BigKahuna said:
My problem is that I am just now (2 months and 20 gallons later) Back to the original recipe. I had to do some of the knee jerk batches that you come up with when you see bottles that say 100% Juice....even if they are not apple.

Welcome back to the fold, prodigal son, welcome. Your misdeeds are forgiven. Now go start another proper batch. ;)

EdWort said:
Welcome back to the fold, prodigal son, welcome. Your misdeeds are forgiven. Now go start another proper batch. ;)
I rarely take advice and run with it, Usually I ask...then do what the hell I was going to do anyway; But I take EdWort at his word. I have paid for my sins, and do hereby promise to never be without a batch in the works. I Bow Down to you Sir. :mug:

Now that I have an extra 2 carboys, I am going to have to start doing wines and apfelwein. There is just too much talk for it not to be the shizzle for rizzle.

Really, you start off with a still batch. Just try it out of the fermenter when you are ready to bottle or keg and see what you think. I think it is pretty darn good just still, but I like it better carbed up well.

TL

Richard said:
I guess you're right...I'll be making more so I should experience both.
If you have carb tabs, it's easy to split the batch up half and half, or 1/4 and 3/4, etc. I'd say try it both ways and decide which is the best.

Richard said:
With all the pro-carbonation posts in this thread I am wondering if I should even bother to make a non-carbed batch.
I thank the good Lord above that It is simple, strait forward, and totally my choice. I wouldn't think of making a batch that wasn't split...50-50

Well this is my first batch of the stuff. I bottled it today. Although I added dextros to carb the batch, I took three 16oz bottles and put them in the fridge to test it still. I drank two and called it a night :)

I am lovin it

I have had it still, lightly carbonated, carbonated around where you would expect a beer, and heavily carbonated. I have to say that I like it at the lighter side of carbonation.

I also prefer it carbonated. When we first tried the stuff, it reminded us so much of champage, we decided to carbonate it that way. I added 8.7 oz of dextrose to the five gallon batch to get around 4 volumes of CO2 (accounting for residual CO2 at my bottling temperature) and bottled in 1 L, swing-top bottles. After a couple weeks at room temperature, it was brillantly clear. After a couple days in the fridge, the carbonation was right on target. It poured just like champagne.

The effect on taste is that you get that carbonation bite and detect CO2 in the nose. It really crisps it up nicely.

However, it's great stuff, still or carbonated.

TL
Do you need to pasteurize the bottles after carbonation?

Another vote for Carbonated. I did my first batch 4 ways, carbonated, still, carbonated&sweetened, and still&sweetened. Carbonated&Sweetened won, so that is how I make all batches now.

As a matter of fact I need to get started on another batch. :)

Back