Built a RIMS tube with a SS electrical box... Oh yeah

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acidrain

Reaction score
Got the plumbing Hardware from Bobby M at BrewHardware.com Great deal and fast shipping.
Gave the center tube a polish, and put some serious thought and effort into the electrical box.
Got the SS box tubing from onlinemetals.com. They happen to be right down the street from my work.
Everything you see is stainless except the waterproof strain relief (it's aluminum) and the cord.
I also made a second electrical box for the HLT.
Can't wait to try it out tomorrow.

IMG_5526_zpsddc43e37.jpg

IMG_5527_zpsb5081d07.jpg

Awesome. I am looking to do the exact same thing. What is the part or part number so I can find it and place an order? Also, what element did you end up using? Many thanks. Louis

Great looking RIMS tube. The best thing about that tube is you can take it apart for cleaning. Mine is a solid 1-piece tube and while it looks cool, cleaning it is not so cool. I'm with lgxg, what element did you use?

I'm not sure It's in the picture, but is your temperature probe going to go on the opposite side to the eating elements plug? Is there a thermowell there?

The temp probe is a 200mm RTD, and is not shown, but is opposite of the element at the T. No thermo-well.
Yes, I fab'd the box from a piece of 2" square 304 ss box tubing, and some .110" 304 ss plate, and 4 ss screws.

acidrain said:
The temp probe is a 200mm RTD, and is not shown, but is opposite of the element at the T. No thermo-well.
Yes, I fab'd the box from a piece of 2" square 304 ss box tubing, and some .110" 304 ss plate, and 4 ss screws.

I assume the box is to waterproof the exposed element wires? It looks professionally done!

I assume the box is to waterproof the exposed element wires? It looks professionally done!

It's not waterproof, just splash proof. It was done more to cover the electrical connections, and provide a ground.

IMG_5525_zps11cb9651.jpg

really nice work. looks great.

I wonder what it would take to make this waterproof? silicon caulk on all joints? potting it in JB weld?

Yeah, but the problem is if it leaks through the element gasket (or the element itself) into the box it will short out.
It's widely accepted (and I believe) it's better to make it splash proof, and leave a weep hole for drainage should the wort leak into the box.

If you're in the other camp, yes it could easily be made waterproof. :)

So there isn't a seal between the box and the element threads? Just the locknut pressing the SS box against the element gasket?

Wouldn't a silicone O-ring with a washer between the box and locknut provide a near waterproof seal? Do you have plans to make this waterproof?

I've been trying to find quality power cables that can connect to a 1/2" strain relief, but the OD of most power cables are about 1/4". Where did you purchase your power cord?

Thanks for your help, this part of the RIMS set up has been troubling me the most

OK, super simple cross section:
The compressed thickness of the gasket (when tight) is .110".
With the gasket placed in the space between the outer bore of the box baseplate, and the shoulder of the element base and tightened in-place, the compressed gasket seals, and the box is also tight to the RMS tube/kettle so that is can be grounded.

crosssection_zps76b653ef.jpg

Oh, the cord is a 6-3 rubber jacket bulk cord from Home Depot. It is .600 in diameter, and that's why I chose the .500"-.750" strain relief listed earlier.

acidrain said:
OK, super simple cross section:
The compressed thickness of the gasket (when tight) is .110".
With the gasket placed in the space between the outer bore of the box baseplate, and the shoulder of the element base and tightened in-place, the compressed gasket seals, and the box is also tight to the RMS tube/kettle so that is can be grounded.

Oh, the cord is a 6-3 rubber jacket bulk cord from Home Depot. It is .600 in diameter, and that's why I chose the .500"-.750" strain relief listed earlier.

Awesome, thanks a lot! I'm going to follow the exact same setup, except the lid of my gang box is steel, but that won't make a difference when providing the ground. How close is the hole in the SS box to the OD of the gasket? I assume this isn't too important as the gasket is what is providing the seal.

Thanks again!

If you just measure the outside diameter of the gasket when it's on the element loosely, you'll figure it out. It should be pretty close to the same diameter... maybe a little bigger.
I used a lathe to turn the ss to the right bore because it's hard to cut with a hole-saw. Doing it in aluminum or steel would be way easier.

Back