Extract Rauchbeir?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jongrill

Reaction score
Looking to make a Rauchbier next.

Not into all grain yet. I've done specialty grains and I think I attempted a partial mash and didn't realize it!

Any way to make a smokey beer with extract?

Not really. Your only real option is to do a partial mash or all grain. Have you seen this thread yet? Partial mash may be easier than you think.

I did dig up this byo article that suggests it may be possible to use liquid smoke, and gives some guidelines for doing so, but the author says that his attempt was not good. I would highly recommend that you pay the $7 for a bag and take this opportunity to try partial mash (again?).

Assuming you go for the partial mash, here's my recipe recommendation: Use Weyermann's smoked malt for at least 50% of your fermentables. Get the rest from Munich extract. If you want a darker color, you can add some roasted barley. You can also add some medium crystal (40-80L) if you want. OG of 1.055. One single addition of a German Noble hop at 60 minutes for 25 IBUs. If you have lager capabilities, I like Munich lager yeast. If not, use a clean American Ale yeast or California lager yeast.

Hope this helps.

Partial mash. I used a 5g water cooler without modding it to do a couple PM brews. I missed my efficiency on my first Partial Mash beer because I mashed too low, used the final temp vs what the strike temp should have been.

http://www.brewheads.com/strike.php

Unless someone makes a smoked malt extract, I don't think you could. I would guess you might be able get the smoke flavor by using liquid smoke, as someone else mentioned....but as far as how much to use, I'm not sure.

The Bries applewood smoked malt it probably twice as potent as Rauchmalt so steeping a pound of it would help but I don't think you'll win any awards with it.

I don't think Briess makes apple wood smoked malt anymore. Their website only shows cherry wood smoked. Either way the cherry wood smoked malt is much stronger than rauchmalt, so your point stands; but I'd be hesitant to steep a base malt myself, as I would rather avoid the starches.

Looking to make a Rauchbier next.

Not into all grain yet. I've done specialty grains and I think I attempted a partial mash and didn't realize it!

Is there any real reason you aren't willing to do an all grain batch? How about a half size all grain batch right in the boiling pot you probably already have? I just did one this morning, a 2 1/2 gallon batch in a 5 gallon pot using a paint strainer bag to filter out the grains when the mash was done. Interested?

I don't think Briess makes apple wood smoked malt anymore. Their website only shows cherry wood smoked. Either way the cherry wood smoked malt is much stronger than rauchmalt, so your point stands; but I'd be hesitant to steep a base malt myself, as I would rather avoid the starches.

Brainfart. I meant cherry the whole time.

Since discovering the lovely Schlenkerla products very recently I've been thinking about trying a homebrew version as well.

Weyermann produces a smoked malt which I've found at Northern Brewer that I thought about adapting to a Marzen style partial mash.

I also found out that Weyermann produces a smoked LME they call Bamberg Rauch:

http://www.weyermannmalt.com/eng/produkte.asp?PN=3&idkat=27&umenue=yes&idmenue=37&sprache=2

On Weyermanns website they list the U.S. Wholesaler of their products as Brewers Supply Group:

http://www.brewerssupplygroup.com/Weyerman.html

Don't know if they bring in the LME or the grain or both. I just started poking around late yesterday so I haven't tried to contact anyone yet.

Don't know if they bring in the LME or the grain or both. I just started poking around late yesterday so I haven't tried to contact anyone yet.

The grain is readily available at just about every online store, but AFAIK the LME is not sold in the US.

I've been curious about trying this in a partial mash for a dark amber ale to go with pit bbq. So many possibilities. Just how much to use to add the taste to the complexity of the malt profile without overwelming it.

My search so far backs this up. Wonder why the LME isn't brought here?

Probably because of limited demand for it and the limited shelf life of LME. I wouldn't want to stock it and have it deteriorate on my shelf while I waited for the 1 in a thousand customer to walk in my door and ask for it.

Probably because of limited demand for it and the limited shelf life of LME. I wouldn't want to stock it and have it deteriorate on my shelf while I waited for the 1 in a thousand customer to walk in my door and ask for it.

Pretty much what I thought. And I don't disagree with the decision either. It does seem to be love/hate with that style of beer.

Sent a message off to NB to see if they can or are willing to try and get some. Kind of a pain I imagine so not holding my breath.

Just to chime in:
I work for a company located in Bamberg Germany, actually on the same street as Weyermann (Company Wieland Electric)
I could talk to a few guys over there to see about sourcing some of the Weyermann specialty malts.
I will actually be there in two weeks, also I make about 8 trips a year there, so not a problem to get some stuff shipped home.

On a side note; the smell in the city is amazing, very often you can see/smell the malt roasting vapors in the air.

Just to chime in:
I work for a company located in Bamberg Germany, actually on the same street as Weyermann (Company Wieland Electric)
I could talk to a few guys over there to see about sourcing some of the Weyermann specialty malts.
I will actually be there in two weeks, also I make about 8 trips a year there, so not a problem to get some stuff shipped home.

On a side note; the smell in the city is amazing, very often you can see/smell the malt roasting vapors in the air.

Awesome! That would be very nice of you!:mug:
I'd be willing to send you the money if your willing/able to pick a jug
or two up for me. Just post or message me the details when you find out.

And I bet the smell is mouth watering.

I'm making up my shopping list for Feb 1st orders. I'm ordering a pound of Weyermann's smoked malt,using half in a dark lager/steam sort of beer. Being a specialty malt with a diastatic power of 48,does it need to be mashed? A small partial mash in place of the steep with just crystal is fine.

I did a smoked specialty grain brew early on for a Strong Scotch Ale. I don't really remember the details, but my notes say that the smoked flavor really came out after 8 weeks of bottle conditioning. But I also added charred oak to the secondary for about 2 weeks.

The gist:
7# of mixed fermentables (LME, DME)
1# of Briess Smoked Malt
1/4c. blackstrap molasses
design the yeast, body and hop components to your liking.

I don't think this will quite work into the Rauchbeir category, but it is possible to do a smoked malt extract beer with specialty grain.

So can it be steeped or does it have to be mashed? I can do both. Midwest said of their smoked malt that 20% of it from the total fermentables for a light smoke flavor. So 1lb would be better in a dark lager/steam beer?

I know I steeped, and it probably wasn't even crushed (a very early batch). It was used in a dark beer but fermented at warm ale temps (68-ish?).

My suggestion is to start low on the smoke level unless you know that you enjoy Rauchbeir. You could always add a little more smoke flavor to the base beer with the liquid smoke or even bourbon / scotch additions.

Ok,I got an answer back in my e-mail from midwest about rouchmalt. It must be mashed to get the goodies out of it. So this particular one will be a really small mash. Kinda like mashing an amount you'd normally steep. Good,now I can use a smaller kettle for this micro mash with the crystal grains,etc mixed in.

I took a swing at a smoked beer and although biased I think it has turned out rather well.

Not a traditional Rauchbier since I can't lager so some liberties were taken.

Basic 5gal recipe outline, all ingredients but US Tett purchase from Northern Brewer.

3lbs Weyermann Beech-smoked malt, had them grind.
6lbs Amber LME
1oz German Tettnang
1/2oz US Tettnang
Safale 05

Partial mash with Smoked grains.
Top up to pre-boil volume of 6.5 gal.
Bring to boil, flame out and add LME.
Flame on and German Tett 60 min
US Tett at 45 min

Hydrated yeast

Put 5.48 in primary for three weeks

5oz corn sugar prime

4.6-ish into bottles

2 weeks at 68-70, 5 days in the fridge.

OG- 1.056
FG- 1.011

Yummy.

The reason for two types of Tettnag? I'm an idiot and only ordered 1oz and
the LHBS only had the US version which has a sightly higher Alpha.
After mucking about with Beersmith I compromised and added 1/2oz at 45 min.
Didn't want the hop flavor overpowering the smoke and attempted to keep the
ABU somewhat low per the Rauchbier style. I feel it worked.

A nicely balanced beer with mild smoke aroma and flavor. Reminds me of
the Schlenkarla Marzen with less smoke.

Got ingredients for effort two inbound. Being a fan of the big smoke
I'm doubling the smoked grain to 6 lbs.
Another change is going with Spalt hops. A good sub for Tett since Tett was
out of stock. I'm still playing with hop addition times. Leaning torwards my original
recipe which called for two ounces at 60 min.

Anywho, thought I'd share something others could easily try as well as easily alter
to taste.

Well,I only used 1/2lb of weyermann's smoked malt with 1.75oz of carahell & 3.5oz of chocolate malt in the small mash. Beer has been in bottles two weeks. Another week or two & I'll put a couple in the fridge for a week. I don't think it'll have much smoke flavor at all. I'll up it to maybe 3-4lbs next time with some base malt. Well see how it is in a couple more weeks...?

The time in bottle and how it alters the smoke flavor is something I'm really curious
about.
I'm going to try and set a few to the side for a month-ish to get a handle on the change.
Goes up, goes down, doesn't change at all?

Brewing is fun, enjoying ones effort is more so!:D

I'm hoping that the new bench capper keeps the co2 in normally this time. One more week at warm room temp & a couple go in the fridge for a week. I have high hopes that a little smoke will come through due to the 2.6VCO2 I primed it to. Next time,3-3.5lbs of Weyermann's with a pound of rahr 2-row. Increase the chocolate malt & leave the carahell amount at 3.5oz. The pound of 2-row should be enough to convert the smoked malt.

With 3lbs it's mild. Wouldn't the chocolate over power the smoke? Or at least subdue it some?
I've never used chocolate malt so I have no idea. Just curious.

I don't think if there was enough smoked malt for decent flavor that 1.75oz of chocolate malt for color would overpower the smoke much. I'm thinking next time,with the base malt & more smoked malt (Weyermann's) it'll keep the right color & still let the smoke shine through...

Sorry, missed the amount and intent of use. Makes sense to me now. Well, as much sense as anything brewing does to this new brewer.

Best of luck! Look forward to hearing about the results of the current and future brew.

Yeah,I used the small amount of chocolate malt mainly for color. But if enough is added to the mash,a chocolate-like flavor can be had. I always read up on grains & such on the midwest supplies site. They have pretty good descriptions to study them by.
I'll def post some results of the dark hybrid lager in a couple weeks. It went into bottles really clear. We'll see how the carbonation changes the flavor.
Also wanna see how the super moss effects head retention & body on the NZ IPA I'm brewing next. But that'll be memorial day at the earliest...

Anyone want to whip up a one gallon recipie for me? I can handle partial mash these days! I'm looking for a pretty smokey beer

I've got Beersmith and know it'll do batch size scaling but I've never used the feature.

Give me a day or so and I'll see what I can provide.

Well, Beersmith tweaked it to a 1 gallon batch and I had to tweak the hops to bring
it back in line. YMMV.

-11.3oz Smoked Malt

-1lb 3.2oz Amber LME

- .25oz German Tettnang

- .2 Whirlfloc Tab at 10 minutes

- Safale US-05. It broke this down into a fraction but I'm thinking pitch the whole package.

I will state that if you like the smoke I'd double that amount of smoked grain.

Need more info let me know.

C_F said:
Well, Beersmith tweaked it to a 1 gallon batch and I had to tweak the hops to bring
it back in line. YMMV.

-11.3oz Smoked Malt

-1lb 3.2oz Amber LME

- .25oz German Tettnang

- .2 Whirlfloc Tab at 10 minutes

- Safale US-05. It broke this down into a fraction but I'm thinking pitch the whole package.

I will state that if you like the smoke I'd double that amount of smoked grain.

Need more info let me know.

You're awesome. Thanks!

Latest posts

Back