Belgian Triple stuck ferment?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dellis0709

Reaction score
I brewed a triple about 4 weeks ago, OG was 1.090. i was told to just pitch two vials rather than making a starter. I soon realized that my 6gallon bucket was nowhere near large enough to hold such a vigorous ferment, so i had to jimmy a blow off tube. After 2 weeks it dropped to 1.030 and last week 1.026, today the same 1.026. I shook it 2 weeks ago and warmed it back up to 70 to try and get it going again. Should i re pitch, wait more time or just keg it?

Yea, Belgian yeast are famous for giving up if you try to control them... It's definitely a different game than your standard ale ferments... With belgians you are ok letting it go at ambient even up to the high 70's.

As far as what to do, If it were me I would make a small starter of fresh yeast and re-pitch it at high krausen. That should get her going again.

what yeast did you use?, i would shake the carboy a little bit and get it up to 75F then check OG after few days
Im fermenting triple with 3787 right now, its 5 weeks and its still fermenting, from my experience 3787 takes long time to finish.

What yeast. Depending on the yeast, you should be runningthat up around 75 to 80 F by now.

I'd just warm it up and try and keep it at a constant temperature.

It has never happened to me, but I have heard that some Belgian yeasts will drop out if the temperature drops too quick and will not re-start. If warming it up doesn't re-start the ferment, you might want to think about racking to secondary, and making a starter with the cake and adding it back when actively fermenting.

530 will take your beer to a low gravity. What temp did you mash at? That strain should get you to 1.014 or lower. Great yeast imo

Check out the most recent beersmith podcast. Palmer is being interviewed, and the topic is high gravity beer. He talks about using a Lager yeast for a stuck ferment. He also explains, in scientific terms (which I'm won't even attempt), why it works.
He also mentioned that one can use any yeast for high gravity beer. The problem with stuck ferment is not the type of yeast used, but underpitcing.

Back