Founders CBS

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scarlessmeanie

Reaction score
Anyone else manage to pick up a bottle? I drove a buddy of mine to get it at our local pub... He got the last bottle but has promised to share. (What a pal!) Anyone have any interesting stories about finding a bottle? A friend of mine in Brooklyn sprinted four blocks from his workplace to a small diner that had it, and was greeted upon exit by a half dozen other people sprinting to the same establishment.

Haven't tried it yet, but I'm pretty excited for that day to come.

So is it good or what? That is a good brewery for sure but I have only heard of people finding the bottles not if it's actually any good. What is the hype all about anyway? Limited release?

Personally, I'm pretty irritated that they concentrate on sending so much of this beer out of the state. They are forgetting about those of us that have been supporting them since day one. Those who are in the pub regularly and have mug club memberships. I showed up and they already cut the line off so I just went inside and had a few. If anyone out there gets extra bottles and wants to trade for release #1 of their Backstage series, Blushing Monk, I have one still.

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/1199/47658

Currently 5th highest ranking.
http://beeradvocate.com/lists/popular

I've had it a couple of times, draught. I prefer KBS and didn't feel motivated to kill myself trying to get CBS in a bottle. It is definitely a good beer, but there are definitely good beers that are easy to get too.

Personally, I'm pretty irritated that they concentrate on sending so much of this beer out of the state. They are forgetting about those of us that have been supporting them since day one. Those who are in the pub regularly and have mug club memberships. I showed up and they already cut the line off so I just went inside and had a few. If anyone out there gets extra bottles and wants to trade for release #1 of their Backstage series, Blushing Monk, I have one still.

Strange. I was there at 9am and managed to get in the line that was stretched down the building, across the parking lot, down the street, down the street again, and almost down the side of the building to the opposite corner from where the line started.

And I was 491 out of 850 tickets. As I loaded empties into the back of my jeep after I got my bottles, I saw the guy with the tickets and he said he had plenty left. The line was not very long after I got mine. I'd guess maybe 100 more people at that point.

Some guys came on the day it was released to the stores, thinking that the taproom release was that day.

I have two bottles and I got special plans for 1 of them. Not sure if I am snobby enough to drink a beer that is going to over $100 on ebay though...

And I was 491 out of 850 tickets. As I loaded empties into the back of my jeep after I got my bottles, I saw the guy with the tickets and he said he had plenty left. The line was not very long after I got mine. I'd guess maybe 100 more people at that point.

Living in central PA, an hour and a half from Philly, there's only one place within a half an hour that had any and they only had one case. Unfortunately.

Selling rare beers for a huge profit kind of ruins the spirit of craft beer for me. :/ IMO.

Yeah. I should really think of it as enjoying a nice $20 bottle of something rare and special.

Then again, there may be other out there who just didn't get the chance to stand in line at the brewery and enjoy the company of other crazy people freezing their asses off, and never got a bottle.

Maybe they would appreciate it even more than I would. Maybe there is someone out there with a few friends who would get together and have an amazing time sharing this rare beer.

Also, I'm giving a bottle to someone who means a lot to me. I don't have many ways of showing my gratitude for their friendship, and I think this is a perfect gesture. Maybe that balances the karma of the Beer Gods.

Braufguss said:
Selling rare beers for a huge profit kind of ruins the spirit of craft beer for me. :/ IMO.

I sort of agree. All this trading and buying stuff on ebay for inflated prices, I am not all about it. I like to choose from what is available to me. I drink more local beer than anything. Look at it this way. Local beer is rare for everyone else. Don't get me wrong I love to try all types of beer but I don't go out of my way.

I am also quite irritated. I live an hour and a half north of the brewery and was told my by local shop that only 10 cases were available for the 41 surrounding counties. I was able to do the math and figured out that I wasn't getting a bottle. My local shop also told me that Founders had to turn away well over 200 people at the brewery who wanted one bottle. Out of state people should be the one's dropping Franklin's on ebay, not us Michiganders.

boostsr20 said:
If anyone out there gets extra bottles and wants to trade for release #1 of their Backstage series, Blushing Monk, I have one still.

If this offer stands, I will check my sources to see if I can get my hands on a bottle or two. At the Michigan Summer Beer Fest this year, the Blushing Monk was the hit of the show and I missed my chance to get it!

I find it a little hard to feel sorry for people who live in/near Grand Rapids. I was there for this release and when the doors opened at 11 AM they still had 150-200 tickets left. Most people show up to a beer release prior to the event. I thought it was a great thing that you could still show up at the exact release time and still get a ticket (instead of the crazy guy that was number one in line, he showed up at 2AM). Stories about KBS release made it sound like if you didn't show up by 9:00 for the 11 o clock release, you got shut out. This deal was much better.

As far as Founders' distribution to Michigan, that's between you guys and Founders. They just released a statement that said something like 26 percent distr. to Michigan and no more than 12 to any other state.

I got there at roughly 8 am and was 364. Meeting and drinking with people in the lot was tons of fun. The 3 hrs went by pretty quick and the line moved real quick too.

Just picked up 2 bottles from Beer Table Pantry at Grand Central that someone had reserved but never claimed.

Who ever that person was... thank you!!! :rockin:

I find it a little hard to feel sorry for people who live in/near Grand Rapids. I was there for this release and when the doors opened at 11 AM they still had 150-200 tickets left. Most people show up to a beer release prior to the event. I thought it was a great thing that you could still show up at the exact release time and still get a ticket (instead of the crazy guy that was number one in line, he showed up at 2AM). Stories about KBS release made it sound like if you didn't show up by 9:00 for the 11 o clock release, you got shut out. This deal was much better.

As far as Founders' distribution to Michigan, that's between you guys and Founders. They just released a statement that said something like 26 percent distr. to Michigan and no more than 12 to any other state.

I got there at roughly 8 am and was 364. Meeting and drinking with people in the lot was tons of fun. The 3 hrs went by pretty quick and the line moved real quick too.

Are you Spongebob Man??

The lady homebrewer and I have had it on tap twice now. It's great! Almost no hope of getting in bottles in DC though...

If this offer stands, I will check my sources to see if I can get my hands on a bottle or two. At the Michigan Summer Beer Fest this year, the Blushing Monk was the hit of the show and I missed my chance to get it!

Just let me know. Where in mi are you? We could do it in person and share some home-brews!

If I had time to stand in line for this beer, I would have been there. The KBS release did sound worse, but I received 12 bottles of KBS, all of which were purchased from a store shelf. And of course they said that. If they did send the majority of this beer around Michigan, then their distributors are not doing their job. It is 100% not available in any store in Michigan. Could you post the link to this statetement?

I have 3 stores I purchase my beer from. Willows will be receiving 0 bottles, Elm Rest MIGHT get 2 bottles that will be taken home by the owner, and the Beverage Company MIGHT receive 8 bottles on an unknown date. Yet when KBS came out, all 3 of these store knew exactly when and how many they were getting.

My local store got 12 and they were gone in less than an hour, and they were limited to 1 per person. I have two other places to check today, however.

My local store got 12 and they were gone in less than an hour, and they were limited to 1 per person. I have two other places to check today, however.

I've hit all my spots from ludington to holland and they all only received 5 bottles per store. Still haven't got one. The thing I don't like about taproom releases of bottles is thats 1700 Less that goes out to stores. I'd rather not see traders and people reselling on eBay get a guaranteed 2 bottles in their hands. I did intend to be there early but life got in the way so I was too late.

Also with these bottles getting so inflated by eBay sellers it makes trading for stuff like this unrealistic. The last time I tried to trade for a darklord the guy figured In his gas money and hotel. Lol. It's a 20 bottle, I'll trade you for a 20 bottle and maybe throw in an extra but I'm not trading as if it's your only child.

I called every store I could think of around here. They all stated they were sold within a couple minutes Why would they even do that ****. Whats the purpose of distributing it even.

I actually had one person laugh and say he wished he could have gotten some.

I would've been over the moon to trade for Blushing Monk. That was amazing, but I don't think that's very likely since I can't fond it.

There was one store in Ann Arbor that had a $5 raffle for the opportunity to buy one. Hell of a profit potential on one bottle.

Going to a 1 dollar raffle today. Here's the link to Founders statement. They say they distributed 21 percent to Michigan. http://www.foundersbrewing.com/blog/beer-releases/cbs-allocations-and-pricing

Good luck!

This still means that 79% went out of state. That seems like a lot to me. It's great that this brew is being shared but Michigan should be the state NOT having a problem with distribution. I like their theory on price gouging, but Founders is not going to pull their shipments because of this. Too hard on business.

I accept the fact that Wexford and Grand Traverse county cannot receive Dogfish Head beers due to "distribution problems," but Founders? It's a little disappointing to say the least.

On a positive note, I did get to visit Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City and enjoyed a pint of Mangalitsa Pig Porter. This brew won a gold medal in the experimental beer category at the GABF this year.

Good luck!

This still means that 79% went out of state. That seems like a lot to me. It's great that this brew is being shared but Michigan should be the state NOT having a problem with distribution. I like their theory on price gouging, but Founders is not going to pull their shipments because of this. Too hard on business.

I accept the fact that Wexford and Grand Traverse county cannot receive Dogfish Head beers due to "distribution problems," but Founders? It's a little disappointing to say the least.

On a positive note, I did get to visit Right Brain Brewery in Traverse City and enjoyed a pint of Mangalitsa Pig Porter. This brew won a gold medal in the experimental beer category at the GABF this year.

How was the pig porter? I have yet to have a pork beer. I ended up getting 2 bottles of CBS and my buddy got one from a local store as well.

For northern Indiana people chalet party shop on napane 19 supposedly hasn't gotten theirs yet and has a few not reserved I just got my bottle but knowing how good and rare it is I feel guilty drinking it.

boostsr20 said:
How was the pig porter? I have yet to have a pork beer. I ended up getting 2 bottles of CBS and my buddy got one from a local store as well.

The pig porter was very smokey. It didn't really have a pork flavor to it.

Latest posts

Back