Scored TWO kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RickWG

Reaction score
So a friend of mine works at the local college (UCSD) and he has scored me two 15 gallon kegs. Straight sided with handles at the top along with a ball type valve for the tap. Don't know what kind it is. Anyone got a name?

So, with two of these kegs I should be set to get started on a AG setup what should I make out of these two? Keggle? Fermenter?

I'm thinking a keggle for one and a water heater (HLT, don't know what it's called as I haven't done that much research into AG systems yet. ) The Mash Tun I can make from a cooler, I can just get another fermetnter or two for ten gallon batches if I decide to go that big. I can easily do 5 gallon boils in this keggle,

O yeah, the facilities guy at work said he would give me a 25 to 35 foot coil of copper tubing for a wort chiller.

First steps? plan? thoughts?
help would be appreciated as I've only made 4 batches and they are all extract with steeping grains.

1 = keggle for sure! Cut the top off and install a ball valve with a pickup tube.

The 2nd one would make a good HLT if you want to use a cooler for MLT (cheap & easy).

The 2nd one could also be a good MLT with something like this if you can score another pot for HLT. Are you using a turkey fryer? If so, the pot that came with it would be a suitable HLT.

http://morebeer.com/product.html?product_id=19807

6132.jpg

Yep, got a turkey fryer already. Stole it from Mom. :) she gave it to me really.
Ok then MLT and a Keggle. This is gonna be fun.
Do you know what kind of keg this is called? Never drank much from a keg in college and well, I'm kinda new to this.

sanke keg. Sweet. Got another one coming and if he can swing it I just heard that he would be able to get another one. wow turning out to be a good week on the beer front. Sweet.

When you're done with those, you're next step is to build something like this!

You've got a lot to do before your first AG. ;)

brew_stand_complete.JPG

Lil' Sparky said:
When you're done with those, you're next step is to build something like this!

You've got a lot to do before you're first AG. ;)

brew_stand_complete.JPG

See, I told him I needed another one. ;) Well, I like your single stand. How stable is it? Most others I've seen here take up as much room as my truck in the garage.

It's very stable. It would never tip over unintentionally. The feet are wider than most, but it doesn't take up as much room as you might think. It fits in our standard-sized garage in front of our Expedition - barely ;)

Really just fell into my lap. We had a block party a couple of weeks ago that featured my first pale ale and one of the dog group (we have dogs in the neighborhood) guys says he works at UCSD and knows the security guards on campus. Later I mention that I'm looking for some kegs to go AG and he says the security guys always get kegs on spring break from drunk students that just leave em lying around. Well, spring break is only a week away and he comes to the park yesterday and says he has two for me. I picked one up yesterday and get the other one tonight I think. Talk to the security guys on a campus near you. Offer a couplea homebrews out of the virgin batch and see what they say. Couldn't hurt.

The first keg is aluminum and taller than the second one I got yesterday. The second is a bit more squat and definitly stainless steel. The issue now is what to do with the aluminum one? MLT, HLT? Fermenter?
Dunno, Going on vacation now though.
Starting Saturday me an the wife will be rafting down the colorado river through the grand canyon. After that I start my new job cause this one is folding. Such is the nature of the Pharmaceutical business I guess.

If you know a fireman kegs are easy to get . They always have picnics and the deposit on kegs have changed back to $10 dollars by me from the hefty $75

my question is how do you cut the lids off the kegs?

Lil' Sparky said:
Are you SURE it's aluminum? Can you post a pic of it?

Not sure but it's a LOT lighter than the stainless steel one. The Finish on the outside is rather dull like aluminum as well. The stainless one is scratchy/shiny and KILLED my arm walking it home.

fins2rit said:
If you know a fireman kegs are easy to get . They always have picnics and the deposit on kegs have changed back to $10 dollars by me from the hefty $75

my question is how do you cut the lids off the kegs?

If you do a search on the site there are a ton of methods. I'm gonna search out a muffler shop and see if they can get a plasma cutter to cut me a nice round hole. The other option is to get an angle grinder and do it myself.

Around here in Chemistry Dept we have 35 gallon kegs of various chemicals. There are liners inside to isolate the chemical from the keg. Kegs are aluminum and HUGE. Was thinking about getting a couple of those when the retire them.

Back