Does this crush look right?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bobby_M

Vendor and Brewer
HBT Sponsor
Reaction score
I got my crankandstein all set up and did a test run on some 2-row. How does it look? I want to be sure the gap is good before I run 10 lbs.

crush.jpg

crush2.jpg

By the way, here's how i mounted the 5 gallon water bottle on for a hopper. I used a piece of the plastic from the bottom of the jug to make a slide valve so that i can fill the hopper, start the drill, then release the grain. I just think it's nice to have the roller moving at speed before grain can bind it up.

mill.jpg

I am far from an expert, but it looks a bit coarse. I'd think it to be a good starting point that you could go finer to possibly improve your efficiency in subsequent batches.
I envy you fellas with mills. Looks like a nice setup!

Your crush looks very similar to mine.
Comparing your crush to Dude's, and rating them on a scale of 1 - 10; if yours is a 10(coarse), and Dudes is a 1 (fine), then mine would be about 8 or 9. (very nearly as coarse as yours).

-a.

P.S. I don't have the luxury of adjusting my crush.

Ain't that Crankenstein a sweet little machine??? Grinding the grain has become one of the things I look forward to most; in fact, I'm trying to get a buddy of mine to start buying whole grains just so I can grind them for him!

I've dialed mine in a little finer than what you're getting, but I'm not sure it's any better.... I do gett really good efficiencies now.

Cheers

Stuck Sparge fix

Keep some rice hulls on hand, use them if you think you should, but when you get that unexpected stuck sparge just throw in a few handfulls and mix and try again.

Fred

beer4breakfast said:
I get mine crushed at the LHBS, and it is coarser than yours Bobby_M, and a heck of a lot less finely ground than Dude's.

I definitely don't get stuck sparges; it's my efficiency that's stuck, way down in the mid 60's. I'm always having to buy more grain than a recipe calls for to compensate for it.

Time to get myself a grain mill, I suppose, as I don't think my LHBS will let me regap their mill.

Ask them to run it through twice. See what happens to your efficiency after that.

Back