Best Pump For Brewing Larger Batches

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BK_BREWERY

Reaction score
I wanted to start a new thread about pumps since the “new replacement for march pump” thread is now going on 50 pages and is merely a battle (sometimes contentious).

I really feel for some larger batch brewers (such as myself) the March 809 is underpowered, same with the chugger pump. The little giant or iwaki pumps are nice but both aren’t food grade, and the iwakis are hard to find with the high temp rating. The LG pumps do have the run dry capability which is seen as a big plus in favor of those pumps. However they do that with a carbon bushing which WILL WEAR and introduce carbon and others compounds into your beer. I don’t know what the bushings are made out of but I am near positive they are not pure carbon and include binders and other compounds (graphite?) I wouldn’t want in my brews. So the battle for me was between the Little Giant 3-MD-HC and a built March BC-3CP-MD.

Previously the question was asked does March make a pump similar to the LG 3-MD-HC but with food grade materials? From that previous pump thread is where I saw the parts for this type of pump from walteratmarchpump where he offered the following.

“The cheapest version would be our Polypro model the AC-3CP-MD AC-3 Pump
Nice thing is we have replacement parts for this unit in the same Polysulfone plastic as the 809's are made from, so you could get it to withstand 250* temps. Or just order it with the polysulfone. It would add about $62 (list price) to the price of the pump. So going through that place i listed above you would still be under $200 for the pump if you payed list for the replacement parts! Incase anyone wanted to do something like that here are the part numbers for the parts you would as for:

0130-0018-1000 AC-3CP-MD pump 115v (list price $188)
0130-0133-1000 #3 Polysulfone Impeller (list Price $22)
0130-0134-1000 #3 Cover 3/4" FPT inlet (list price $20)
0130-0153-1000 #3 Rear housing 1/2" MPT outlet (list price $20)

And if anyone wanted a barb fitting inlet/outlet instead of FPT/MPT threads on the pump then order this:
0130-0135-1000 #3 Rear housing 3/4" OD outlet (list price $20)
0130-0155-1000 #3 Cover 3/4" OD inlet (list price $20)

-Walter”

Well I went for it and assembled 2 of these pumps and I am extremely happy with them. They will take a little work on your end as they are not an off the shelf product yet (hint march, and distributors *see note below), but here is what you need to do. I bought 2 used pumps off of ebay, you can buy either the BC-3CP-MD or AC-3CP-MD as they are basically the same thing.
“If you were to buy both pumps at the same time, brand new, the only difference would be the AC-3 has a shorter cord and an impeller with exposed magnet. The BC-3 has a longer cord and an encapsulated impeller magnet. The BC-3 is geared a bit more to the industrial side with the encapsulated magnet being able to withstand a wider variety of chemicals that would normally attack and degrade the exposed magnet.”
So other than the cord and impeller magnets they are identical and there are a bunch available as these are used in the marine and aquatics applications. So they are everywhere, it was relatively easy to find a used pump. I bought both of my pumps including shipping for ~$138 total.

Now comes the “hard part” you need to find a March distributor near you or online and order the parts listed above. I will say I did contact a March pump place in new jersey on ebay and they basically bit my head off and told me that they couldn’t help me and told me to buy an 809 or their new pump “March AC-5B-MD 115 Nano Brew Pump” which is $299 and the same exact thing I am trying to build except the next series higher. So from personal experience I would advise not to do business there. So I found a distributor right down the street from my place and called them and ordered the parts listed above for the wet end of the pump. The parts came later that week, and total cost was $55 per set so $110 total. Then just remove the old wet end on your used pumps and replace with all your new parts. One of my motors came with a cord, the other did not so I had to wire one of those on, which was not hard at all. I think if you buy them brand new they do not include cords just pigtails, either way wiring a power cord is not rocket science. So total cost of 2 pumps was ~$248 or $124 per pump. That’s almost the same as an 809 brand new, and with the brand new wet ends these pumps look brand new as well.

*Note: I think Tesco pumps are going to start selling these MARCH AC-3B-MD pumps with the food grade materials, brand new for around $165.

Now for the performance comparison:
The flow of this March pump is visually only slightly less than the LG 3-MD-HC (borrowed a friends), by direct comparison by whirl pooling in the keggle with my IC, cooling time 205F to 70F was the same between both (the 809 took roughly 5 min longer). The March pump is actually a little quieter than the LG pump. In a race I did between an 809, my BC-3CP-MD, and the LG 3-MD-HC, the LG did have a slightly higher flow rate as it filled my keggles to overflow at 85 seconds (which is slightly slower than their 12.5 GPM rating @zero feet head). The March BC-3CP-MD came in at 94 seconds to overflow (which is actually right on their listed 10GPM @ zero head) (the 809 was only about just over half way full when the other 2 overflowed so I didn’t do final time it was well over 2 min). The LG does have the run dry capability, but according to walter if you really need that capability a carbon bushing can be purchased for the March pump heads as well. Also look at the price even if I wasn’t paying attention and ran the March pump dry I could completely replace the front wet end for $55 making it STILL cheaper than the cheapest LG 3 ($208) I could find (so I think the run dry capability is a wash). Both motors are almost identical including ball bearings which are very quiet so I think that’s a wash as well, as far as built to last ruggedness. (obviously time will tell durability)

So ultimately why I think the March BC/AC-3CP-MD pump should be purchased over the LG pump even though its slightly less performance wise. (You can also look at the other thread pages 48-49)

• They both blow away the 809 (and used you can build a BC-3 as cheap)
  • Cost (same as 809, and even brand new the BC-3 is cheaper than the LG)
  • Rated for higher temps than the LG
  • Food grade materials for wet end, which the LG is not listed as
  • MADE IN THE U.S.A , the LG is not (this SHOULD BE a big one IMO)
  • Customer Service/Support (Walter gave us his direct phone line at March and he picked up!)

Lastly I would like to say I have no ties to any pump manufacturers and this post is based on my experience and opinion. I am a mechanical engineer by day so I do have a technical background, and have been brewing for 4 years with over 60 batches now, so not a newbie.

Let the assured craziness begin………….

I am debating running a 1/4 HP three phase motor with a positive displacement head.

This should be self priming and you would set the flow rate via the motor drive vs a restriction valve and a mag drive pump.

I am just trying to source an appropriate pump head but I'll document it if this does work well.

I may just end up buying a cheap 110v pump and tossing the motor on it to get a head as people don't tend to sell small three phase motors that can run really really slow with pump heads.

What company did you order your March parts from? Everone around me wants to charge "list" but some online March retailer has to be able to do better than that.

What company did you order your March parts from? Everone around me wants to charge "list" but some online March retailer has to be able to do better than that.

The cheapest place i found online was tesco pumps (which the my local one matched :mug:), they quoted me

Complete pump with polysulfone wetend
AC-3B-MD 115v $164.40 (which is exactly what you're building)

Parts only
0130-0133-1000 $ 18.00
0130-0134-1000 $ 18.00
0130-0153-1000 $ 19.80

- tescopumps

Hope they don't start raising prices.........

I'm surprised to hear you say the March is quiet. I have a March 809, an LG 3-MD-HC, and an LG TE-5-MD-HC (all bought new). The March 809 is so loud that I can't stand to use it. Even the much higher-powered LG TE-5 is far quieter than the 809. I guess maybe the BC-3CP-MD doesn't have the same problem.

I worry about my LG's temperature tolerance. I would consider getting a March if I could get the same power as the LG TE-5 without being any louder than it.

I'm surprised to hear you say the March is quiet. I have a March 809, an LG 3-MD-HC, and an LG TE-5-MD-HC (all bought new). The March 809 is so loud that I can't stand to use it. Even the much higher-powered LG TE-5 is far quieter than the 809. I guess maybe the BC-3CP-MD doesn't have the same problem.

I worry about my LG's temperature tolerance. I would consider getting a March if I could get the same power as the LG TE-5 without being any louder than it.

Closest thing you can get from us is this: http://www.marchpump.com/ac-5b-md/ Same materials as the 809-PL pumps. This one is rated to 225*F due tot he motor bracket being made from ploypro. Ours will do 18gpm and the LG does 20gpm. And our pump does about 60-65db when running measured from 3' away.

I am surprised to hear that your pump is that loud....the 809 HS models are usually in the neighborhhod of 56-58db measured at 3' away. And normal conversations are 60db for reference. You can send it to me and i can check it out if you like...

-Walter

if you want a little more temperature tollerance then you can go with the AC-5PS-MD:
http://www.marchpump.com/ac-5ps-md/
Same as the beer pump but made more the industrial side with a motor bracket made of the polysulfil plastis same as the pump head. Rated for teamps of 250*....but we have had it tested as high as 285* for 6 hours with no signs of failure. :D

-Walter

wuertele said:

I never said the 809s are quieter, those pumps are loud for sure. but the BC-3 motors are completely different than the 809 motors. The 3 series motors have sealed ball bearings just like LG pumps. The 809s have sleeve bearings I believe.

I like to circulate boiling wort to sanitize things so the lower temp rating of the LG was a concern as well. For a comparable pump to your 5 series LG look at march's 5 series pumps, as they are basically equivalent.

The BC-2 has flow rates of 5gpm and 13' of head...at that point you are better off going to the 809-HS (6gpm 12' head) as we dont have the BC-2 in the polysulfil plastic for the higher temps.

The BC-3 has flow rates of 10gpm and 20' head which is a little bit better then the 809-HS/815 version of 8gpm and 18 'head.

-Walter

I'm surprised to hear you say the March is so loud that you can't stand to use it. I agree that the LG is quieter.

My march pumps are not loud by any means. The sound of the fire on my small propane burners on my brewstand are louder than the pumps. I hold a normal indorr-volume conversation while standing at my brewstand.

Are you able to estimate the dB of your march pump or compare it to something that is just as loud so that I can get an idea of what you're talking about? Maybe your pump is unique and just loud because it is that way for some reason.

Are you able to estimate the dB of your march pump or compare it to something that is just as loud so that I can get an idea of what you're talking about?
I have two propane burners, an old loud turkey fryer of unknown origin and a Blichman. The turkey fryer is much louder than the Blichman, and my 809 is louder than the turkey fryer. I packed the 809 away in a deep dark corner ever since getting my LG pumps, so I'm just going on distant memory here.
Maybe your pump is unique and just loud because it is that way for some reason.
I could believe that. I saw somewhere a post by WalterAtMarchPump about tolerance of parts being a certain range, and it made me think that perhaps my pump is just a noisy outlier. But having been burnt once makes it very difficult to think about sticking my hand back into the box.

Well....now we'll see a crazy spike in the cost of the BC series pumps. :D Same thing happened when I got my LG MD-3-HC for $89 and posted about it on this forum....now they're $200+.

So this is not a cheap route to go unless you are willing to wait and look for parts selling for cheap but this is my solution to the pump issue.

Sorry about the poor quality video, I'll make better videos when the project gets farther along.

Last edited by a moderator:
So, dredging this up from the past....
I contact Tesco pumps about the parts listed in the first post, in which they say that the magnet is bare and not FDA approved. They also claim that the impeller is rated for only 200F. Any worries about these two topics?

If the impeller is made from the same stuff as the housing, how would it be rated at a lower temp? And you can get the impeller magnet encapsulated in the kynar version if it really concerns you. I don't know the part number, but maybe walter will chime in with that info.

Also the march 809 has the same setup with the exposed magnet, and that's the tried and true pump setup which no one has had any problems with for 10-20 years or whatever. So no it does not concern me, not to mention the little giant and other pumps have that same setup, and the LG has the carbon bushing for run dry capability, which would end up in the beer before any magnet problems. I would not worry about it one bit, but that's me.

Walter,

Are there any options to have the magnet on the impeller mentioned above coated, or shielded with a stainless cover like the 809s?

They all have the same setup, these impellers are the exact same as the 809s as far as configuration.

BK: Do you happen to have a photo of the impeller (0130-0133-1000 #3 Polysulfone Impeller)?
According to Tesco, the impeller (0130-0133-1000 #3 Polysulfone Impeller) is bare, not like the 809s.

David, are you refering to the pump that BK_BREWERY put together in the first posting? The only option as of right now would be the impeller from the BC-3K-MD which would be coated in Kynar plastic. We rate it to 200*F but there is a "fudge" factor built in there, so for short brewing batches you could get away with it. If your doing big batches or long term exposure to high heat then you may run into problems with the impeller binding on the shaft or worse case the rear of the impeller and the back housig may start to melt together. If its just a binding issue you can drill the ID open with a 17/64" drill bit and that should cure it...melting on the other hand i cant do anything about.
But i will say we are working on getting the stainless covers for the #3 pump....hopefully VERY soon :)

-Walter

David that impeller does have a bare magnet. As of right now the only ones WITH the SS cover are all the 809's and the AC-5B-MD beer pump

-Walter

David that impeller does have a bare magnet. As of right now the only ones WITH the SS cover are all the 809's and the AC-5B-MD beer pump

-Walter

and form the monster thread

Our series 3 pump that little giant based theirs off of is listed at $188 for the standard model (AC-3CP-MD). If you want a slightly better ball bearing motor and an impeller thats encapsulated in plastic so it doesnt come in contact with the liquid then go with the BC-3CP-MD which has a list of $290.50

-Walter

Now just to be fair....none of our pumps have "approval" as far as FDA or NSF for food use either. And that ONLY because if you were to get a rating for the pump it would need to be nailed down for a specific application. So if we wanted to have it approved for pumping let say beer, The next guy that buys it and pumps milk through would void the rating. BUT, all of the materials we use (other then the carbon bushings) is approved for potable water use as a stand alone material. We have had numerous clients go through the certification process with NSF and FDA and not one has ever had an issue with our pumps due to materials in contact with the liquids.

-Walter

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/new-replacement-march-pump-180761/index48.html#post2592875

if you got this monster thread pages 48-50 and read, you'll see the conversation i am referring to.

whats the risk of the exposed magnets? should i switch to the kynar version or will these impellers be fine in contact with the boiling wort? what are the magnets made of? neodymium?

David, are you refering to the pump that BK_BREWERY put together in the first posting? The only option as of right now would be the impeller from the BC-3K-MD which would be coated in Kynar plastic. We rate it to 200*F but there is a "fudge" factor built in there, so for short brewing batches you could get away with it. If your doing big batches or long term exposure to high heat then you may run into problems with the impeller binding on the shaft or worse case the rear of the impeller and the back housig may start to melt together. If its just a binding issue you can drill the ID open with a 17/64" drill bit and that should cure it...melting on the other hand i cant do anything about.
But i will say we are working on getting the stainless covers for the #3 pump....hopefully VERY soon :)

-Walter

And these SS covers you mention for the 3 series, are they something that can be added to my current impellers, or do i have to get new ones?

Thanks Walter!

And these SS covers you mention for the 3 series, are they something that can be added to my current impellers, or do i have to get new ones?

Thanks Walter!

When we get it all worked out, you could send me your impeller/s and i will install it for you No charge. :)

-Walter

Looks like I am buying this pump setup... Not that I'd get free impeller "covers" installed, but I am sure it will be at a reasonable price. Please keep us informed. Thanks Walter!

WalterAtMarchPump said:
When we get it all worked out, you could send me your impeller/s and i will install it for you No charge. :)

-Walter

Sounds good walter, these pumps have been working great with the poly impellers. It'll be nice to cover the magnets even if you don't NEED to. I'm an engineer too and I like belts AND suspenders! :)

Stainless covers are in and fit perfect! I should have new part numbers for you in the morning for the impellers alone and a part number for a complete BC-3B-MD Polysulfone head beer pump...which would be our series 3 pump capable of 10gpm max flow and max head height of 20' :)

-Walter

Sorry for not getting back here and posting the numbers yesterday...got a little busy and didnt have time...anyway here they are:

The complete pump assembly (AC-3B-MD) will be part number 0130-0162-0100
and if you are in the process of putting your own together from the part numbers i gave out earlier then you will need the revised impeller with stainless magnet cover. Part# 0130-0133-0200

You can call any of the distributors and give them the numbers. They will most likely not have any idea what your talking about as its new as of yesterday so just give them the numbers and have them call us here to get pricing for you. :)

-Walter

Sorry for not getting back here and posting the numbers yesterday...got a little busy and didnt have time...anyway here they are:

The complete pump assembly (AC-3B-MD) will be part number 0130-0162-0100
and if you are in the process of putting your own together from the part numbers i gave out earlier then you will need the revised impeller with stainless magnet cover. Part# 0130-0133-0200

You can call any of the distributors and give them the numbers. They will most likely not have any idea what your talking about as its new as of yesterday so just give them the numbers and have them call us here to get pricing for you. :)

-Walter

Thanks Walter for all your help on this pump! We have had so many request for this flow range! :mug: We hope to get these added to our website ASAP!!!

Heres a little video of the new AC-3B-MD so you can see how quiet this one is. All the same features of the 809's but with little more output and pressure if you need it. :D

-Walter

Last edited by a moderator:
Has anybody been able to get a decent price for the SS impeller part. I was quoted $48, but my distributor also said what I have now is rated to 200 degrees. I am thinking maybe the upgrade is not worth it. Thoughts?

Has anybody been able to get a decent price for the SS impeller part. I was quoted $48, but my distributor also said what I have now is rated to 200 degrees. I am thinking maybe the upgrade is not worth it. Thoughts?

Are you talking about the 815 impeller upgrade? Or the stainless steel shaft the impeller spins on?? The impellers have a list price os $24 and the shaft is $11 not sure what they are quoting you $48 for.

-Walter

Are you talking about the 815 impeller upgrade? Or the stainless steel shaft the impeller spins on?? The impellers have a list price os $24 and the shaft is $11 not sure what they are quoting you $48 for.

-Walter

No sorry talking about the new 0130-0133-0200 impeller

Back