Ring around bottle neck...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gyoder

Reaction score
My pliny the elder clone has been sitting in the bottles now for a little over two weeks and I decided to give it a try today. After pouring the beer into my glass I noticed a tiny white ring around the bottle neck and grimaced. I've tasted the beer though and there are no off flavors that I can tell. It actually tastes quite excellent. However, I was hoping to age this as it was pretty high gravity (1.076). Is there any chance that the large amount of yeast and hops from the dry hop that made their way into my bottling bucket (I wanted every last bit) could have caused the ring? Is two weeks enough for a bacterial infection to get started in a beer that's over 7% alcohol?

I just looked at the case below the first one and they do not have the ring. The case on top probably had the majority of the extra sediment. Also, I had turned the bottles in the top case upside down and then rightside up again about a week ago could that have had anything to do with it?

I have had infection in a 10% brew before. But a white ring doesn't sound like it. The ring bacteria leave is dark, at least in my experience. Looks like dark grime, nothing light colored about it.

Thanks for the responses guys. Maybe it was sanitizer that was still on the cap that made it's way to the top when I flipped them over. I suppose as long as they taste good there isn't a problem.

Back