eco-friendly sanitation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thejiro

Reaction score
Are there any products out there that home brewers can use to sanitize equipment that is eco friendly that will still provide acceptable levels of sanitization?

Ken

Hell, StarSan is so safe that when diluted by wort it actually provides nutrients to the yeast. Also, I've dumped StarSan buckets into a potted plant to test a couple times, hasn't cause any trouble at all to it. Even better, I think the guy who makes StarSan drank some of it during a podcast and it was uncomfortable but cause no harm.

More anecdotal evidence:
Starsan and pets?

toxicity of star-san

Starsan is actually recommended for watering hop plants because it adds some fertilizer qualities...don't remember which nutrients.

Eric

You wouldn't think it's so safe when you read the MSDS, but it is. Amazing stuff...

But if you actually listened to the i-view with Chuck Talley the inventor of Starsan, and hear him describe the goals he set forth in making it. AND that is is great for septic systems, you would know the truth.

March 29, 2007 - Sanitizing with Bleach and Star San
Charlie Talley from Five Star Chemicals tells us best practices in using household bleach and Star San in sanitizing equipment.

http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr03-29-07.mp3

That Material Data Safety sheets are often written with oversight by lawyers to cover their a$$e$, or is it a$$et$? ;)

Revvy, don't get me wrong, I wasn't slamming the stuff, I was mearly pointing out the MSDS looks like it would take your skin off. I understand the lawyers have to do the required CYA, too. I use it and wouldn't consider using anything else out there.

Don't fear the foam!

Revvy, don't get me wrong, I wasn't slamming the stuff, I was mearly pointing out the MSDS looks like it would take your skin off. I understand the lawyers have to do the required CYA, too. I use it and wouldn't consider using anything else out there.

Don't fear the foam!

No worries, but we've had threads by folks frightened by that very info you posted get into heated debates about it's merits. Until they listened to the podcast. So I just didn't want the OP to be further frightned by the wonder that is Starsan. :mug:

Don't get concentrated star san in your mouth. Imagine sucking on a lemon and times it by 1000.

You could get an aquarium UV light and use it for your carboys. I don't know how long it would have to be on to get a good bacteria kill.

The MSDS is written for the concentrated version and, yes, it can be unpleasant to hands and counter tops a like.

Thanks for all of the great info. It looks likes the consensus that starsan is pretty much the sfest best sanitizer out there. It looks like this will be the product I use to :)

But if you actually listened to the i-view with Chuck Talley the inventor of Starsan, and hear him describe the goals he set forth in making it. AND that is is great for septic systems, you would know the truth.

But isn't his views a bit biased?

That Material Data Safety sheets are often written with oversight by lawyers to cover their a$$e$, or is it a$$et$? ;)

Yuppers. Lawyers, and greedy plaintiffs.

Latest posts

Back