Squirrels

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mgo737

Reaction score
Anyone ever have any problems with squirrels digging up their rhizomes or eating their hops? Just asking b/c there are a buttload of them in the tree that I was planning on attaching twine to for my hops to grow.

Thanks.

I've had problems with both raccoons and squirrels, not eating the rhizome but just digging in the dirt and making a mess. The best solution ive found is covering the area with mulch to keep down weeds and discourage animals from digging.

Where I live (and most of north america) grey squirrels are a foreign invading pest. They are very aggressive and from my experience tend to dig and chew on anything that you want to start growing in the springtime.
I have tried the temporary solution of live trapping and relocating the squirrels (over a bridge to a nearby suburb) to some effect. You had better check with your local authorities to see if this is allowed. Some places you are allowed to hunt them.

Anyone ever have any problems with squirrels digging up their rhizomes or eating their hops? Just asking b/c there are a buttload of them in the tree that I was planning on attaching twine to for my hops to grow.

Thanks.

The squirrels in my area have ignored them so far, but they are fat and well fed.

Try dog hair works great. They used to eat my tomato's and someone told me to put dog hair around plants. It works. Did it last year with my hop's and had no ploblems.

It's funny you ask this, because I just took care of a little squirrel & gulfer problem this past Saturday. :D

Here's how's I's did's it.

Tennis balls... Punched a hole in all of them with a pair of scissors. I then took "Starting Fluid" (Ether) and filled up the tennis balls with quite a bit of the Starting Fluid. I then proceeded to stick these Ether-filled tennis balls into each gulfer and squirrel hole in the vicinity.

It is now Thursday, and nothing has come up through the holes since... as well nothing has been dug up since. :D

Ether actually puts animals to sleep and then puts them down. Sad story, I know, I don't like hurting animals. :( I hope I didn't kill any cute bunnies! Oh noes!

It's funny you ask this, because I just took care of a little squirrel & gulfer problem this past Saturday. :D

Tennis balls... Punched a hole in all of them with a pair of scissors. I then took "Starting Fluid" (Ether) and filled up the tennis balls with quite a bit of the Starting Fluid. I then proceeded to stick these Ether-filled tennis balls into each gulfer and squirrel hole in the vicinity.

It is now Thursday, and nothing has come up through the holes since... as well nothing has been dug up since. :D

Ether actually puts animals to sleep and then puts them down. Sad story, I know, I don't like hurting animals. :( I hope I didn't kill any cute bunnies! Oh noes!

What kind of squirrels do you have living in holes? Around here Fox, Gray, Black and Red Squirrels all live in trees. No holes to put things down.

We have Fox squirrels in our neighborhood, lots of them. They dig up flower beds and planters plenty but I've not realy had much problem with them damaging the perennials or shrubs. Must be fed well enough with all the fruit and nut trees and the bird feeders in the neighborhood. I know they are the biggest squirrels I have seen.

Now those cute bunnies like to mow down my crocuses in the spring. Most people find they cause more garden damage that other varmints.

Craig

I've got at least four types of squirrels around here, plus woodrats, rabbits, mice, voles, gophers, chipmunks, etc. None of them have gotten into the hops.

Did have one case of a coyote digging up a rhizome trying to get some critter.

I have tried the temporary solution of live trapping and relocating the squirrels (over a bridge to a nearby suburb) to some effect. You had better check with your local authorities to see if this is allowed. Some places you are allowed to hunt them.

Squirrels opperate in the same mannor that the effect of vapor pressure does. Take one away another one comes and replaces it.

Best bet is to use Predator Urine, it keeps all sorts of critters away.

Sounds like another Caddyshack movie in the making...

i have lots of them stupid bunnies and squirrels.... something dug a good sized hole right near one my posts for my trellis.... sucks for that thing.... as i covered that up with weedblocker and mulch... should have put some chemicals down there but wasn't sure if that was a snake hole and we have some crazy ass snakes here.

I have issues with my mounds being torn up but we will see now with the mulch down and that.

There is a 'pet repellent' that can be purchased at a hardware store. It's a powder your sprinkle around the perimeter. I guess animals aren't supposed t like the smell.

If your squirrels live in trees, then try this:
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_2H9Njj-0_M]YouTube - Squirrel Flinga Anniversary[/ame]

I like the dog hair idea, but the squirrels around here don't seem too afraid of my dog since they just chatter at her from the trees. Those little squirrely bastards dug up my basil planter twice last year, but SWMBO would not approve of me killing them with a BB gun as much as I'd love that.

This year I think I'm putting some of the strawberry netting I found in my garage rafters over my planters. And I think I remember that marigolds are supposed to keep rabbits away, but that has also been disputed.

Be sure to keep your dog away from hops. I heard that they will eat hops (even after brew), and they get very sick in a matter of hours.
One guy on his youtube video had his dog pass away in just 16 hours after eating some hops.
He called it something-'hypothermia'.

I'm just giving you a heads up of the possibility to save you from having to deal with losing a loved furry one :rockin:

Back