Dust Storm

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benko

Reaction score
Had to post this. This is what it looks like outside right now in Al Asad, Iraq. There is nothing wrong with the camera. I'll be picking sand out of my ass for the next two weeks. Needless to say we aren't flying much today.

DSCF1065.jpg

DSCF1066.jpg

DSCF1067.jpg

What makes it looks red?

I think it's the color of the particular dust that's being blown around. A few hours ago it was more orange. The last few we've had were yellowish. It all depends on the direction of the wind and where the dust is coming from. Iraq has many levels of crapiness, depending on the day.

Wow. For me it's kind of cool looking at it, but I can tell why it would suck.

The biggest problem for us is that the V-22 is an incredibly avionics intensive aircraft. It is full of computers, electronics, wiring, circuit panels, etc. The dust gets into everything. Imagine leaving your laptop sitting outside in that for days on end, and then trying to run it. I look forward to strapping in tomorrow or whenever this clears out and dealing with all the gremlins that will pop up during the flight. It's a testament to the hard work of the maintainers that these things will even get off the ground.

The biggest problem for us is that the V-22 is an incredibly avionics intensive aircraft. It is full of computers, electronics, wiring, circuit panels, etc. The dust gets into everything. Imagine leaving your laptop sitting outside in that for days on end, and then trying to run it. I look forward to strapping in tomorrow or whenever this clears out and dealing with all the gremlins that will pop up during the flight. It's a testament to the hard work of the maintainers that these things will even get off the ground.

Yeah, don't those things tend to drop out of the sky all the time anyway? Add in the dust and it might get a little hairy. Or have all the problems been fixed? I remember for a while it seemed like one was crashing every couple months.

Back