Mexican Panty Dropper Cider (what do you think?)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Ok so my wife and her sister love my cider, so I decided to do a 10 gallon batch for them. I use 10.5 gallons of pasteurized apple juice, 6lbs of Blue Agave Nectar and 2 vials of WLP775 (English cider yeast.) If I do this right I should have an OG of 1.089 and finish around 1.010, making a 10.5%abv Cider. Then back sweeten with a little more Agave. I will add the pectin enzymes at secondary then keg all of it and force carb before I bottle it all. Is there anything else you would recommend on doing? This will be my 3rd batch of cider, but my first of this size and ingredients.

Agave nectar seems like a good back sweetener due to it's high level of fructose, but seems like an expensive sugar to ferment. I'd suggest using apple juice concentrate as it will boost your gravity plus add flavor.

Are you using pectic enzyme because you have cloudy juice?

[joking]

Mexican panties? There are Mexican panties? We don't need no stinking Mexican panties!

[/joking]

Agave nectar seems like a good back sweetener due to it's high level of fructose, but seems like an expensive sugar to ferment. I'd suggest using apple juice concentrate as it will boost your gravity plus add flavor.

Are you using pectic enzyme because you have cloudy juice?

I was able to get 3lbs for $10 and the other 3lbs for free, and i was going to use pectic enzyme to stop the fermentation on the back sweetening with the agave. Then i would cold crash it all and keg to carb.

I've had it ferment out that far before without any ill effects. I just do really big starters. Also I check the gravity and when it gets to 1.010 I transfer to secondary, and cold crash to 36 degrees.

gotcha. was worried that you thought the yeast was going to magically stop at some beer-informed attenuation %. i have never used that yeast before but are you sure it won't hang around and kick off fermenting in the bottles? i play it safe and heat pasteurize my bottles after cold crashing, kegging and bottling, but that's with s05 which in my hands is a moderate flocculator at best (say that 5 times fast)
do you mean 36 degrees kelvin? that's pretty chilly

Jboyles123 said:
Pectic enzyme will not stop fermentation.

Wine stabilizer will stop fermentation! Or it's also known as Potassium Sorbate. Add 1/2 tsp per/gal. To prevent renewed fermentation.

Do the panties have to be on a Mexican in order to drop them? Or do they just need to have "Hecho en Mexico" on the label?

The name came about in the way of my wife and her sister, They are both (henco en Mexico) and cant tolerate much alcohol. But sure they have to be on a Mexican in order for it to work.

Back