Just made a new hop spider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Queequeg

Reaction score
Nothing revolutionary but I am quite pleased with the result.

IMG_1119_zps3917572a.jpg
IMG_1120_zpsaf7e1ed2.jpg

Made with a ss 16cm cake ring, 3 ss threaded rods, ss locking nuts, ss washers, ss jubilee clip.

The bag is nylon 400 micron koi carp pre filter bag, its really heavy duty and stiff.

I made a cage to keep it open though from ss braided cable which I had left over from another job.

Just got to use it now.

How tough will that cable be to clean? It's hot side so not a huge deal. Just seems like it'd be a pain.

Very nice! But yea, the cable cleaning.

Maybe trim off a 1/4 inch or 1/2 inch ring off the bottom of that cake ring and drop that into the bottom of the bag to replace the cable?

The cable was free, but yeah I will have to clean with a toothbrush. Like most brewing equipment cleaning is a breeze if you do it immediately. I will let you know how the cleaning goes.

Cutting the bottom of the cake ring would probably be a no, no. It was hard enough to drill to be honest.

How did you drill it? I am considering building something similar using an aluminum cake ring (for easier drilling), but I know very little about drilling metal and what bits or techniques to use. I'd rather not bust my drill or my cake ring by making a foolish error.

How did you drill it? I am considering building something similar using an aluminum cake ring (for easier drilling), but I know very little about drilling metal and what bits or techniques to use. I'd rather not bust my drill or my cake ring by making a foolish error.

Most on here use what's known as a "unibit", sourced from Harbor Freight.

"Back up" your cake pan with a piece of wood where you wish to drill, and have at it.
Hold it securely, ( with some gloves on), so if the bit catches and snatches it out your hand, you won't injure your foreskin actuators...........

I doubt it will catch, as the unibits are made for sheet metal, and should go right through it.
No need to run it wide open.

Hope that helps ya'! :mug:

Not gonna do a brew for a while as I switch from PM to AG and waiting on my new kit. Will do pics though, unfortunately the next brew will only have a couple of ounces in it so I won't get a full impression.

Latest posts

Back