Perlick 525 SS faucet leaks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So in your case you think the upper o-rings were causing binding so it wouldn't properly seal or was it leaking from around the top nut?

It was still leaking out of the faucet mouth, but it wasn't the forward o-ring causing the problems..

In my case my handle moves with next to no resistance. They pretty much fall open. I know what you mean by the "pop" feel when closing. I get that right now. I also added keg lube to the forward o-rings of my faucet to get this though. It really appears in my case that the forward o-ring which I think by design should be floating, isn't. It is like it is squeezed a bit from the sides. I can see where over/under tightening the top nut could cause a position issue where the ball doesn't line up with the forward o-ring. It could also be a positioning issue with the forward o-ring.

Sounds like you do indeed have bad faucet(s). Bummer. Hope you get it figured out. I too was having to disconnect the liquid line from one of my faucets for awhile until I got it figured out. It's no fun....

It was still leaking out of the faucet mouth, but it wasn't the forward o-ring causing the problems..

Sounds like you do indeed have bad faucet(s). Bummer. Hope you get it figured out. I too was having to disconnect the liquid line from one of my faucets for awhile until I got it figured out. It's no fun....

In my case it may be figured out. I just got notification from UPS that something that a package shipped from Perlick which weighs 1.6lbs was just delivered to my house. I have no idea what it is until I get home as I still haven't gotten a call back. Either a lifetime supply of seals or new faucets if I were to guess. If new faucets I hope they are the 630SS and not the 408.

If I really wanted to know, I could call my wife and have her open the box. She is at home today.

Well it looks like it paid off. Perlick actually sent out three of the new 630SS faucets to replace the 525SS faucets that I have issues with.

NS2UX74.jpg

j3T62L9.jpg

I unwrapped one to look it over. It is a little different. I can start a new thread doing a comparison. They changed the top cap design where the lever enters the faucet. The o-ring really seems to float around a lot more than my 525SS which is where my issue mainly seemed to be. Also the biggest difference is the movement. I would say that the range of motion of the faucet handle is much shorter. It also seems to click open and closed. I can dig out the DSLR and take some better photos of it as I compare them. Well Let me check if anyone else did a thread on the new faucet yet. If there is one out here already I guess there isn't any point in doing another.

Someone posted a 630SS info thread but didn't really compare the 525SS to the 630SS so I posted the new thread out there with lots of side by side shots.

Biggest noteable changes are that the forward seal is now a flat (both sides) seal rather than a traditional round O-ring. I think this makes it float a little better in the faucet to eliminate alignment issues. It will mean that cheap O-ring replacements are likely not an option. The Bearing Cup was metal in the 525 and the new one is black plastic. However it is much easier to remove and install compared to the old one that I always seemed to fight with. There is no thin O-ring anymore. There is a seal in the body where the handle passes through. One in the bonnet cap. The forward seal and one at the back where it mates with the shank. So parts list is reduced a bit. The swing of the faucet handle is much shorter. Will have to see how I like that once I get them in use. Shouldn't be a big deal. However it may mean full open isn't as full open as before. Will this cause more foam? Will it mean that cracking it open to make foam isn't as easy? Time will tell. Need to clean them up and mount them before I know.

Here is a link to the comparison thread.

Comparison

First pour with the new 630SS.

bnZLBjs.jpg

I would say that they are a little harder to just crack open to add more head to the beer. I will get used to it. The shorter throw wasn't all that noticeable when going full open. Once closed, it was one drip, about 5 seconds later came drip 2 and that was it.

I have three 525PC that I purchased from Keg Connection in September. I have been following this tread while keeping a close eye on my taps. In the last week, all three are dripping, It is ticking me off but making my dog happy. I just ordered the replacement O rings to rebuild my taps.

Just throwing some more in this already big thread. I have five that I got in May 2009. It's been almost five years now with almost constant use. I just started having a small leak in one of them. I did recently have my lines freeze (kegerator in garage) and I'm not sure if ts related or not but it seemed to be around the same time. I'm going to start by replacing all the rubber and see where that gets me.

Man I have 4 525SS faucets. They haven't leaked yet but I'm worried that will end up starting to leak in the future. I wonder if its possible to exchange these for the new 630SS with the design flaws solved as a preventative measure.

Man I have 4 525SS faucets. They haven't leaked yet but I'm worried that will end up starting to leak in the future. I wonder if its possible to exchange these for the new 630SS with the design flaws solved as a preventative measure.

Same here, worried

You guys ever heard the term "If it ain't broke, don't fix it?" If your taps aren't leaking, then I wouldn't worry. Besides, saw this on another thread topic......

Keep us updated. I was thinking about bringing some of these in but am hearing word that the plastic is breaking with the current design.

The new taps haven't been out long enough to prove themselves imo. If you're taps are leaking like a sieve, then yeah I would take the risk. If not, then see about replacement seals from either Perlick or McMaster Carr if you're still worried. Don't jump the gun just yet. Your 525ss may be one of the better sealing ones.

I wouldn't change unless you had a problem or you decide to add taps down the road and the slight difference will set off your OCD.

I have 3 of the 525SS faucets and they seal just fine most of the time. I do run them in a long draw system that uses beer pumps so the pumps push the beer at about 30psi to overcome the line pressure. The one problem I have had is if someone grabs the top of the tap handle on one and forces it close it will leak. If I turn off the beer and remove the shaft and put it back it stops.

I say stick with what you have. Perlick knows that whenever they release a new faucet, they will likely see an increase in complaints about the "old" ones. This happens when anything is updated (think iPhone). Don't go looking for problems but if you have a legit problem, then absolutely see what Perlick will do.

OTOH, I still almost want to take this opportunity to get some 525SSs for dirt cheap from those who needed to upgrade right away. :D

Funny.....I just found this thread. My 525's are about 3 years old and one of them just started leaking. I took all of them (4 total) off and soakd them in PBW, then rinsed and reinstalled. Back to normal function. Not sure if I'll soon have problems again, but a good soaking in PBW worked for me.

I have 3 525SS that I bought about a year ago. Just built my keezer about 3 months ago and, with only the third keg tapped, one of the three just started leaking. The other two are fine so far.

Is Perlick open to replacing them or am I stuck trying to fix them?

I have 3 525SS that I bought about a year ago. Just built my keezer about 3 months ago and, with only the third keg tapped, one of the three just started leaking. The other two are fine so far.

Is Perlick open to replacing them or am I stuck trying to fix them?

Well I am the one that got my 525SS faucets replaced with the new 630SS so is it possible, yes. I would call them sooner than later.

So I have had my 630SS faucets for what, a little over a week now I think.

No leaks. So that is good.

Here is one negative that I will say about them. Now, with the 525 one method to resolve leaks is to back off the bonnet. That the tap handle should almost fall open. That is the way mine were and I would still get leaks.

With the 630SS I have been playing with them a bit. Like I said, no leaks so far and that is the biggest thing. The tap handle movement isn't silky smooth like the 525 though. Personally I would rather have a stiffer handle movement and vs leaks. I suspect it is the top seal and this may break in more though use and age. You know the saying, time will tell. This is the seal I am talking about.

8xEJVSC.jpg

Again. Not the end of the world but a difference that I have noticed. I have let my taps sit for a few days as I had to stop drinking beer. I had one last night though. Over the past weekend I was on the roof clearing snow and fell off a ladder. When I hit the ground I suffered a pretty bad sprain of my right knee and I was prescribed Vicodin. No supposed to mix alcohol with it so no beer. I didn't take any yesterday so I had a couple beers to test the tap after sitting unused for 4 days. I would say no sticking and it felt like it does if I used it daily.

So overall, I would say I am happier with the 630 at this point. Of course they are new so they may start leaking for all I know. A week or so into owning the 525 I had no issues. We will see if the plastic part has any long term issues. Sounds like it used to be plastic on the 525 originally and was eventually evolved into metal so it could be replaced later.

I ended up following the advice in this thread and took apart the offending faucet. Sure enough, the washer was deformed. I soaked it in hot PBW solution for a while and it seemed to regain its shape. Reassembled, and so far so good.

Just in case, I hit my LHBS and picked up 3 O-rings.

Just found this thread and wanted to inquire - I hooked up one of my kegs yesterday to a 525SS. It literally did not stop the flow whatsoever. Is there a diagram somewhere for taking these apart and investigating? I'm getting no seal and I don't mind taking it apart and resolving it, but having a hard time finding a diagram.

Volume of keg really shouldn't matter. And since they are forward sealing kegs, the seal should be better the higher the pressure. Sounds like your floating O-ring was not lined up properly or something may have been in the way of the seal.

With the wild temperature changes in the Boston area the past few weeks, one of my 525SS's has developed the leak so many in here have. FWIW, it was fine for 3 months up to this point.

I called and ordered the 'fix' kits. The guy in the service center claims that the kits will prevent leaks, but also some people still install them and have leaks (not exactly a confidence builder). I will just unhook the liquid out lines for now as a precaution.

You would think with a product that has been around for so long that these problems would not happen. Its kind of frustrating when you lose a few gallons to leakage.

With the wild temperature changes in the Boston area the past few weeks, one of my 525SS's has developed the leak so many in here have. FWIW, it was fine for 3 months up to this point.

I called and ordered the 'fix' kits. The guy in the service center claims that the kits will prevent leaks, but also some people still install them and have leaks (not exactly a confidence builder). I will just unhook the liquid out lines for now as a precaution.

You would think with a product that has been around for so long that these problems would not happen. Its kind of frustrating when you lose a few gallons to leakage.

This sounds weird, but I took mine apart, put it back together again and then it sealed. I think these things may get misaligned really easily.

This sounds weird, but I took mine apart, put it back together again and then it sealed. I think these things may get misaligned really easily.

I figured the 30 degree swing may have caused the gasket to contract, hence the leak, as the kegerator is in the garage.

But, you are right. They seem somewhat finicky.

Do you have large tap handles? One of mine leaked with a Sierra nevada tap handle installed on it but not the cheapo black plastic ones.

Very cold temperatures (kegerator in garage) was the initial cause of my leak as well. I took them all apart and cleaned/lubed them and put them back together. I've got three (out of 5) on tap now and no leaks but its not definitive because there's no way to tell which part of which faucet was the cause of the leak.

Just found this thread and have two leaking 525s. Called perlick and they said they won't do anything for me. Said they are old and out of any warranty period. I ordered some new o-rings from Mcmaster. If that doesn't work I will have to buy new faucets.

I had one leaking. I took it apart and put it back together and it quit leaking. I didn't change the o rings.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Yeah I had one that if you weren't gentle with it would leak. And all you had to do is take it apart to get it to stop. Honestly I sold them and got the 650ss faucets.

I bought 4 x 525SS earlier this year. And now one started leaking. I called Perlick and the guy at Perlick told me that they would replace all 4 taps.
Since they were still under warranty they sent me 4 x 630SS. All I had to do was send him my order confirmation. Unfortunately I cannot keep the 525SS and have to send them back ... lol.
But shipping is all paid for.
So lets see if the 630 ones will stay tight.

I have 3 of the 650ss faucets and they are much better then the 525ss ones I had. They have much less side to side slack. And when you seat the ball on the oring it feels more solid.

Just found this thread and have two leaking 525s. Called perlick and they said they won't do anything for me. Said they are old and out of any warranty period. I ordered some new o-rings from Mcmaster. If that doesn't work I will have to buy new faucets.

They wouldn't warranty them when they were new. They told me that they need 17+ psi, and it was leaking from user error. They said the faucet was designed for bars, and all bars served at that pressure or above. I know that's not true. Thier exscuse was pretty lame.

I'm lucky, I only had 1 of 3 fail. But Perlick is not a company that stands behind thier product, or even admits thier mistakes.

They wouldn't warranty them when they were new. They told me that they need 17+ psi, and it was leaking from user error. They said the faucet was designed for bars, and all bars served at that pressure or above. I know that's not true. Thier exscuse was pretty lame.

I'm lucky, I only had 1 of 3 fail. But Perlick is not a company that stands behind thier product, or even admits thier mistakes.

I had to fight with them a bit when I called once I saw that the 630ss was released. Eventually they sent 3 of them to replace the 3 I had but never asked for the 525s back so I still have them. Two are sitting in a box and I put one back on my kegerator as I am running rootbeer on that one at 30 psi. No leaks at that pressure. Their response that it needs 17 psi is lame. I don't think I have ever seen perlics in a bar. I do work on the side (computer stuff) for a beer distributor that sets up systems for most of the bars in my area and they don't use them either. A bar doesn't need them if they are using the taps all the time, they won't stick.

I am building another kegerator and this one will get vent mm at I ventmatics.

I had to fight with them a bit when I called once I saw that the 630ss was released. Eventually they sent 3 of them to replace the 3 I had but never asked for the 525s back so I still have them. Two are sitting in a box and I put one back on my kegerator as I am running rootbeer on that one at 30 psi. No leaks at that pressure. Their response that it needs 17 psi is lame. I don't think I have ever seen perlics in a bar. I do work on the side (computer stuff) for a beer distributor that sets up systems for most of the bars in my area and they don't use them either. A bar doesn't need them if they are using the taps all the time, they won't stick.

I am building another kegerator and this one will get ventmatics.

Back