dumb mistake

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

reiffer75

Reaction score
So i was preparing to bottle my thunderstruck pumpkin ale and picked it up only to realize i forgot to put water in the airlock when i racked to secondary, been sitting for 3 weeks like this. Is my beer ruined or should i continue with botteling?

Does it really matter now? You've already got this far, might as well go on. But seriously, it is probably fine. Beer was made for years in open containers and vats. Especially since it was in a secondary, I wouldn't hesitate to bottle it. :rockin:

If a fungus ziplined from your ceiling to your window, parachuted directly onto your airlock, repelled through the airlock under cover of darkness, did a Triple Lindy into the wort, and are now scuba diving looking for O2 and dead yeast carcusses to eat, then you may have issues.

triple-lindy.jpg

If the fungus in your house do not know even one of these advanced maneuvers, then you are fine.

Tophers got it. As long as no bacteria got in you should be fine. There should have been a layer of C02 over the wort to prevent oxygenation. If it doesn't smell funky or have weird growths on it no worries.

lolz. Yeah,nasties aren't ninja acrobats. A 3 piece airlock has a lot of turns for them to make. And that after getting through the small holes in the airlock cap 1st. And the center piece that sits squarely on the center tube of the airlock. I don't tend to think alot of air gets past that center piece top.

Back