Cascades in Key West

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The tea maker hops looked like they were about dead. I pulled all the leaves (powdery mildew, bug eaten) and now it's growing like crazy again. I planted these using miracle grow top soil and black gold compost 50/50. They are in the ground. I put in a drip hose to avoid getting mildew again.

The same thing happened to me. I trimmed mine back to the ground around the end of April and I'm already seeing some promising growth again. Slower than I would like to see but growth.

Sounds like trying to grow tomatoes on miami beach! I had to be so aggressive with pesticides that I was afraid to eat them!

Can't recommend the stuff enough, try using Organocide. I use it for my hops and peppers. It's all natural and works extremely well.

Thanks! If it can keep the tomatoes relatively free of creepy crawlies it should work on everything else. Ordered it! I'll keep you posted.

mannye said:
Thanks! If it can keep the tomatoes relatively free of creepy crawlies it should work on everything else. Ordered it! I'll keep you posted.

Welcome....Probably too late now but they sell it at Home Depot. I get the premixed kind that comes in a spray bottle.

Hey guys.
where to buy hop seed or rhizomes in florida ?
i'm from Brazil and I want some hot weather resistant hops to grow.

Thanks

Poncho_Beer said:
Hey guys.
where to buy hop seed or rhizomes in florida ?
i'm from Brazil and I want some hot weather resistant hops to grow.

Thanks

I'd go with one of the "C" varieties and if possible order a hop crown from Great Lakes Hops.

Hey guys, turtle tank water can be a great source of nitrogen but I would just make sure salmonella is too big to get stored in the hops, the way giardia gets stored in raspberries that grow by dormant bodies of water. Just wouldn't want anyone getting sick.

PS I've been calling the Ag dept guys at UF and they have been really helpful when I have questions

Hey guys, turtle tank water can be a great source of nitrogen but I would just make sure salmonella is too big to get stored in the hops, the way giardia gets stored in raspberries that grow by dormant bodies of water. Just wouldn't want anyone getting sick.

PS I've been calling the Ag dept guys at UF and they have been really helpful when I have questions

That's something I did think about and make sure to wash up well after handling the bines or cones. As far as using them though, salmonella is killed when boiled so as long as your not using them for dry hopping they should be fine.
Good to know I can call the UF Ag dept. Another reason why I love the Gators!

I read this entire thread. How did I miss the 2013 Key West harvest?
:confused:

There wasnt much of one. I moved into a new house and haven't really figured out where I can pull off growing them here. I'm trying to figure something out though so I can bring the thread back to life.
One thing I could improve on though is switching to higher phosphorous based nutes when they start dropping cones. Should make for better quality hops vs the high nitrogen nutes I was using which promote vegetative growth.

Thanks for the update. I will be moving to an island way east of you soon so I was getting inspiration from your experience. Good luck with the new house, and the new spot to plant. from what I gather (no experience other than reading) Where you plant them, Which side of house, sun exposure ect. has a lot to do with it (among many other thing of course). Just my hunch as to why the So Flo growers have mixed results. Just my ignorant observation, but that has been my experience with growing "northern" plant down here.

JB

They love sun and water so be prepared to give em plenty of both. And you'll either need a trellis or lattice fencing to weave them through depending which direction you want them to grow. Other than that they're pretty forgiving.

I remember running across this thread a few years back. Wife and I just moved to Key West a few months ago and I'm the Head Brewer at the Waterfront Brewery in the Bight. We have two large planter boxes up front on either side of the stairs that I may see about growing some hops in given your success down here. Any tips to offer that haven't been posted here?

I remember running across this thread a few years back. Wife and I just moved to Key West a few months ago and I'm the Head Brewer at the Waterfront Brewery in the Bight. We have two large planter boxes up front on either side of the stairs that I may see about growing some hops in given your success down here. Any tips to offer that haven't been posted here?

Hey Justin, my names Cole. Somehow we've yet to cross paths but I'm the president of the BUBBAs/ Southernmost Brewclub and was brewing with Jim over at Bone Island. Still waiting for you to pop up at one of our club meetings :D

Hops have honestly been one of the easiest things I've ever grown. Give them lots of water, root space, light, and nitrogen and they're pretty happy. Now switching up the nutes once you get cones and harvesting I haven't quite dialed in. Strain seems to make a pretty big difference too. I know a few guys around the state that have tried a variety of strains but for some reason the "C" hops time and again perform the best. Chris and Owen have been trying to get me to go check out the brewery maybe I'll drop by this weekend. Not sure if anyone will be there though.

Hey Justin, my names Cole. Somehow we've yet to cross paths but I'm the president of the BUBBAs/ Southernmost Brewclub and was brewing with Jim over at Bone Island. Still waiting for you to pop up at one of our club meetings :D

Hops have honestly been one of the easiest things I've ever grown. Give them lots of water, root space, light, and nitrogen and they're pretty happy. Now switching up the nutes once you get cones and harvesting I haven't quite dialed in. Strain seems to make a pretty big difference too. I know a few guys around the state that have tried a variety of strains but for some reason the "C" hops time and again perform the best. Chris and Owen have been trying to get me to go check out the brewery maybe I'll drop by this weekend. Not sure if anyone will be there though.

Cole, sorry for the delayed response. Stop by any time, I'm here Monday - Friday most weeks but we live on the Island so I can meet you up here anytime. Weekend may be better anyway so I can sit around and have a few beers too. I've got plenty to sample right now and need to get rid of it to make room for some more. I'd like to see what you think of the spot I have in mind too. I'll PM you my #

Back